Jamaican Foil Roasted Fish Recipe
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Foil Roasted Fish Recipe | Image source: greedygirlcooks.blogspot
By Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
By now, I hope you have at least tried our famous Jamaican jerk chicken and pork. Now, I am about to share with you yet another of our beloved Jamaican dishes. This time, however, it's all about seafood. The Jamaican grilled fish or what some refer to as Foil Paper Fish, is one of my favourite seafood dishes. Not only is it tasty, but it is also incredibly filling and healthy.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
While this is an easy enough dish to prepare at home, this stuffed grilled fish, packed with callaloo and other herbs and spices is actually more popular as a street food. On that note, check out some of our most popular street food dishes here.
The magic of Jamaican foil-roasted fish lies in its simple yet exquisite combination of ingredients:
- Fish: Choose a whole fish such as snapper, grouper, or parrotfish for the best results. The intact fish retains its moisture and allows the flavours to infuse beautifully.
- Seasoning: A blend of aromatic ingredients like thyme, scallions, onions, garlic, and Scotch bonnet peppers creates the foundation of the dish's irresistible flavour.
- Okra and Callaloo: Okra adds a subtle crunch and earthy flavour, while callaloo, a leafy green vegetable, contributes a hint of bitterness and a vibrant green hue.
- Citrus: Lime or lemon juice adds a zesty kick and helps tenderize the fish.
Jamaican Foil-Roasted Fish Stuffed with Okra and Callaloo Recipe
- 1 whole fish (snapper, grouper, parrotfish), cleaned and scaled
- 2 sprigs of thyme, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet peppers, minced (adjust to taste)
- 6-8 okra pods, sliced
- 1 cup callaloo leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Fish: Clean the fish thoroughly, removing scales, gutting, and cleaning the cavity. Make diagonal cuts on both sides of the fish.
- Create the Seasoning Blend: In a bowl, mix together chopped thyme, scallions, onions, minced garlic, and Scotch bonnet peppers
- Stuffing and Marinating: Rub the seasoning blend inside and outside the fish, ensuring even distribution. Place a layer of sliced okra and chopped callaloo leaves inside the fish cavity.
- Wrapping in Foil: Lay a large piece of aluminium foil on a flat surface. Place the seasoned and stuffed fish on the foil. Drizzle coconut milk and lime/lemon juice over the fish.
- Roasting: Preheat your grill or oven to medium-high heat. Carefully wrap the fish in the foil, creating a sealed packet. Place the foil-wrapped fish on the grill grates or in the oven. Roast for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily.
- Serving and Accompaniments: Carefully open the foil packet to reveal the cooked, aromatic fish. Transfer the fish to a serving platter, allowing the stuffing to be showcased. Serve the fish with rice and peas, fried plantains, and a side of lime/lemon wedges. Optionally, offer Jamaican jerk sauce for added spice.
So there you have it, a taste of our island right on your plate with Jamaican foil-roasted fish stuffed with okra and callaloo. It's like taking a mini-vacation for your taste buds! From the sizzle of the grill to the moment you unwrap that foil packet, you're embarking on a flavorful adventure that's as relaxing as a hammock on a Jamaican beach.
Remember, this isn't just a recipe; it's a journey through the island's culinary tapestry. Every bite is a high-five to the culture, a nod to history, and a salute to the Caribbean sun. So grab your lime or lemon wedges, maybe a dash of jerk sauce if you're feeling daring, and dive into a meal that's more than just food – it's a little slice of paradise, right at your table. And of course, don’t be stingy, share the recipe with your friends and family. If you want to try more Jamaican seafood dishes check these out.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Foods from Jamaican Foil Roasted Fish Recipe
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Foil Roasted Fish Recipe
References & Sources For Jamaican Foil Roasted Fish Recipe
- Jamaican Seafood Dishes| 10 Popular dishes with Recipes. (2023, August 13). My-Island-Jamaica.com. https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/jamaican_seafood_dishes.html
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.