Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Here's How To Make Your Own
Plus The 'A List' In Jar!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
by Kesha Stewart, Associate Writer
The Best Jerk Seasonings From Jamaica
Jamaicans may be short on cash but definitely not on flavor. We add zest to everything, especially food. One distinctive way we “spice things up” is preparing foods in the Jerk method.
Nothing is exempted from this culinary style! From chicken, lamb, goat to pineapple, jackfruit and mangoes, cauliflower or pack-choi, rest assured, Jamaicans can jerk anything.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
If you are envious of trying out this spicy, flavor filled exotic Jamaican style then I suggest that you get the right seasonings.
A secret, so to speak, of Jamaican jerk is based on the seasonings. You can choose to go natural and fix up your seasoning at home - the jerk gurus have several suggestions, or you can pop open a jar of Jamaican jerk seasonings, some folks prefer to snip a sachet of the dried seasoning. Either way can work.
Prefer To Make Your Own Jerk Seasoning?
Click Here To Get Our Simple & Easy Recipe - Free!
I should add that jerk is more than just seasoning; it’s also a method of cooking practiced by the Maroons, the first free people of colour in Jamaica.
However, you can always experiment and try to come as closely as possible to the authentic taste they perfected which is now continued at jerk pits and kitchens across the island, particularly at the eastern end like Portland - home of the famous Boston Jerk- (highly recommended).
So have fun trying. Just imagine the many envious palates you could satisfy. Grab your apron and let’s go.
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Recipe - (From Scratch)!
You Will Need (Ingredients):
- 4 to 6 Scotch Bonnet peppers - de-seeded and de-veined (keep the seeds and veins if you like it scorching hot).
- 2 tbspn ground pimento (allspice) - or about 20 whole dry berries
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 stalks escallion (scallion)
- 2 tbspn ground nutmeg
- 2 tbspn brown sugar
- 2 tbspn salt
- 1 tbspn black pepper
- 2 tbspn oil (of your preference)
- Enough vinegar to make the mixture pasty – (usually cane sugar)
It's simple, just blend all ingredients in a suitable food processor.
(Go for a nice and sticky texture).
Alternatively, you may pound with a mortar and pestle until thoroughly combined. Essentially your mixture should spread easily.
The vinegar will act as a preservative allowing your creation to keep for up to a year without refrigeration.
Ready Made Jamaican Jerk Seasonings
Truth be told there are a lot of copycats there, so if you decide to reach for the jar here are some of the most creditable and trusted producers and distributors of Jamaican jerk seasoning. These are great for gift baskets.
And by the way, most of them can be found online at Amazon. Here is the link on Amazon.
- Walkerswood – A world rated brand (according to the gurus this is the best on the market). The seasonings and sauces range from hot & spicy or mild and has multiple variations to suit a variety of tastes. You may pick up at your favourite Caribbean store, purchase at our local stores when you visit or order online.
- Eatons – This brand has jerk products ranging from seasonings and sauces available locally, overseas and online. We reviewed them here.
- Grace – A traditional premium brand here at home, they have recently made a foray into this area of the market. Their products are available online, locally or you can take home some from your closest Caribbean store.
- Island Spice- A local brand with its version of jerk seasoning which is available in stores overseas or by just clicking.
- Caribbean Choice – Previously available only at Caribbean stores overseas, this brand was introduced to the local market in 2009, its jerk seasoning can also be bought online.
Dry Jerk Seasonings? Absolutely!
Some of the brands highlighted in this piece have dry versions of their jerk seasonings which you can order online or pick up at your favourite Jamaican (or Caribbean) store as well, just ask :-)
So whether you decide to make it from scratch, buy a jar or sachet, you are on now on your way to enjoying your meals in a fresh new way, Jamaican style :-)
While you're at it, try our all purpose seasonings as well.
Other Pages Related To Jamaican Jerk Seasonings
Return to Free Jamaican Recipes from Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Return To My Island Jamaica Home from Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.