Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Here's How To Make Your Own
Plus The 'A List' In Jar!
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning by Kesha Stewart
Jamaicans may be short on cash but definitely not on flavor. We add zest to everything, especially food. One distinctive way we “spice things up” is preparing foods in the Jerk method.
Nothing is exempted from this culinary style! From chicken, lamb, goat to pineapple, jackfruit and mangoes, cauliflower or pack-choi, rest assured, Jamaicans can jerk anything.
If you are envious of trying out this spicy, flavor filled exotic Jamaican style then I suggest that you get the right seasonings.
A secret, so to speak, of Jamaican jerk is based on the seasonings. You can choose to go natural and fix up your seasoning at home - the jerk gurus have several suggestions, or you can pop open a jar of Jamaican jerk seasonings, some folks prefer to snip a sachet of the dried seasoning. Either way can work.
Prefer To Make Your Own Jerk Seasoning?
Click Here To Get Our Simple & Easy Recipe - Free!
I should add that jerk is more than just seasoning; it’s also a method of cooking practiced by the Maroons, the first free people of colour in Jamaica.
However, you can always experiment and try to come as closely as possible to the authentic taste they perfected which is now continued at jerk pits and kitchens across the island, particularly at the eastern end like Portland - home of the famous Boston Jerk- (highly recommended).
So have fun trying. Just imagine the many envious palates you could satisfy. Grab your apron and let’s go.
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Recipe - (From Scratch)!
You Will Need (Ingredients):
- 4 to 6 Scotch Bonnet peppers - de-seeded and de-veined (keep the seeds and veins if you like it scorching hot).
- 2 tbspn ground pimento (allspice) - or about 20 whole dry berries
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 stalks escallion (scallion)
- 2 tbspn ground nutmeg
- 2 tbspn brown sugar
- 2 tbspn salt
- 1 tbspn black pepper
- 2 tbspn oil (of your preference)
- Enough vinegar to make the mixture pasty – (usually cane sugar)
It's simple, just blend all ingredients in a suitable food processor.
(Go for a nice and sticky texture).
Alternatively, you may pound with a mortar and pestle until thoroughly combined. Essentially your mixture should spread easily.
The vinegar will act as a preservative allowing your creation to keep for up to a year without refrigeration.
Ready Made Jamaican Jerk Seasonings
Truth be told there are a lot of copycats there, so if you decide to reach for the jar here are some of the most creditable and trusted producers and distributors of Jamaican jerk seasoning. These are great for gift baskets.
And by the way, most of them can be found online at Amazon. Here is the link on Amazon.
- Walkerswood – A world rated brand (according to the gurus this is the best on the market). The seasonings and sauces range from hot & spicy or mild and has multiple variations to suit a variety of tastes. You may pick up at your favourite Caribbean store, purchase at our local stores when you visit or order online.
- Eatons – This brand has jerk products ranging from seasonings and sauces available locally, overseas and online. We reviewed them here.
- Grace – A traditional premium brand here at home, they have recently made a foray into this area of the market. Their products are available online, locally or you can take home some from your closest Caribbean store.
- Island Spice- A local brand with its version of jerk seasoning which is available in stores overseas or by just clicking.
- Caribbean Choice – Previously available only at Caribbean stores overseas, this brand was introduced to the local market in 2009, its jerk seasoning can also be bought online.
Dry Jerk Seasonings? Absolutely!
Some of the brands highlighted in this piece have dry versions of their jerk seasonings which you can order online or pick up at your favourite Jamaican (or Caribbean) store as well, just ask :-)
So whether you decide to make it from scratch, buy a jar or sachet, you are on now on your way to enjoying your meals in a fresh new way, Jamaican style :-)
Pages Related To Jamaican Jerk Seasonings
Posted July 16 2017
Return to Free Jamaican Recipes from Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Return To My Island Jamaica Home from Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.