Authentic Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
by Nemonie Cassells
Featured! Best Jamaica Recipes Cookbook Vol-1
Enjoy This Mouthwatering Collection Of Delicious Jamaican Recipes Cookbook, Click Here For Your Copy
I love food! Let me say it a little louder… I LOVE FOOOOOD!!I love food so much that it was important to me that I learned to cook my favorite cuisines!
There is always something cooking up in my kitchen, meals that most only eat in a restaurants, but nothing, absolutely nothing to me like my Jamaican cuisine!!!
Now listen up, soups are not my favorite meals to dine on, but when I do I appreciate a haughty bowl of creamy, steamy flavorful soup!
You can only imagine the excitement I created when I first tasted the Jamaican pepper pot soup!
I was at a local restaurant and I ordered it as an appetizer.
Needless to say, I requested to see the chef, we met, fell in love, got married and had 5 beautiful children together… just kidding, but wouldn’t that make an interesting story, Oh well!
I did meet with the chef though and requested a simple recipe minus whatever secret ingredients he might have added because I myself am a genius in the kitchen and would make my own, hair raising, toe curling, dancing in your chair, are you tasting this soup? soup!
And that's exactly what I did!
The Jamaican pepper pot soup is famous for this one Ingredient… the callaloo! The callaloo is a green leafy plant that looks like a Kale and spinach hybrid.
It is absolutely delicious and makes this soup one of the best to come out of Jamaica!
Here’s MY Jamaican Pepper pot recipe (below)…
NOTE: You can enjoy pepper pot soup even if you’re a vegetarian, just minus the meat!! ENJOY!!
Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Photo Credit: Ms Ann Marie Bulgin
- 1 lb. Salted beef (soaked overnight in water and cut in bite size pieces)
- 1/2 lb. beef stew (cut it bite size pieces and washed with vinegar)
- 1 bundle or stalk of Callaloo (stripped and chopped)
- 6 Okras (washed and cut into big chunks)
- 2 stalks of Escallion ( stripped and chopped into small pieces)
- 4 cloves of garlic (cut into halfs)
- 1 TBSP Garlic powder
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 8 pimento berries
- 1 lb. yellow yam ( peeled and diced)
- 1/2 lb. coco yam (peepled and diced)
- 3 small green bananas (sliced in small pieces with skin on)
- 1 cup counter flour
- 1/2 pack Grace Coconut milk powder
- 1 1/2 pack Maggi Thick and Spicy soup mix
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- Add flour and water to make dough in a bowl.
Knead and set aside to make spinners (long dumplings) later.
- Put salted beef and beef stew in soup pot.
- Add garlic powder, 4 pimento berries and the desired amount of water. Set on stove to boil for about 40 min or until meat is tender.
- Shape spinners and add to pot.
- Add yellow yam, coco, banana, callaloo, and okras and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 pack of coconut powder, escellion, thyme, garlic, whole scotch bonnet pepper, remaining pimento berries, salt and Maggi Thick n Spicy soup mix.
- STIR WELL. let simmer for 15 mins then turn off flame.
- Serve soup hot in a bowl.
See that? Very simple after all :-)
Here Below Are Also Pages Related To Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Return to Free Jamaican recipes from Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Return to My Island Jamaica homepage from Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Recommended For You ...
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. As an ardent customer and affiliate, I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 readers/ viewers (per day) with great.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.