Authentic Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
by Nemonie Cassells
I love food! Let me say it a little louder… I LOVE FOOOOOD!!I love food
so much that it was important to me that I learned to cook my favorite
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
There is always something cooking up in my kitchen, meals that most only eat in a restaurants, but nothing, absolutely nothing to me like my Jamaican cuisine!!!
Now listen up, soups are not my favorite meals to dine on, but when I do I appreciate a haughty bowl of creamy, steamy flavorful soup!
You can only imagine the excitement I created when I first tasted the Jamaican pepper pot soup!
I was at a local restaurant and I ordered it as an appetizer.
Needless to say, I requested to see the chef, we met, fell in love, got married and had 5 beautiful children together… just kidding, but wouldn’t that make an interesting story, Oh well!
I did meet with the chef though and requested a simple recipe minus whatever secret ingredients he might have added because I myself am a genius in the kitchen and would make my own, hair raising, toe curling, dancing in your chair, are you tasting this soup? soup!
And that's exactly what I did!
The Jamaican pepper pot soup is famous for this one Ingredient… the callaloo! The callaloo is a green leafy plant that looks like a Kale and spinach hybrid.
It is absolutely delicious and makes this soup one of the best to come out of Jamaica!
Here’s MY Jamaican Pepper pot recipe (below)…
NOTE: You can enjoy pepper pot soup even if you’re a vegetarian, just minus the meat!! ENJOY!!
Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Photo Credit: Ms Ann Marie Bulgin, of medicinalherbs4u.com
- 1 lb. Salted beef (soaked overnight in water and cut in bite size pieces)
- 1/2 lb. beef stew (cut it bite size pieces and washed with vinegar)
- 1 bundle or stalk of Callaloo (stripped and chopped)
- 6 Okras (washed and cut into big chunks)
- 2 stalks of Escallion ( stripped and chopped into small pieces)
- 4 cloves of garlic (cut into halfs)
- 1 TBSP Garlic powder
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 8 pimento berries
- 1 lb. yellow yam ( peeled and diced)
- 1/2 lb. coco yam (peepled and diced)
- 3 small green bananas (sliced in small pieces with skin on)
- 1 cup counter flour
- 1/2 pack Grace Coconut milk powder
- 1 1/2 pack Maggi Thick and Spicy soup mix
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- Add flour and water to make dough in a bowl.
Knead and set aside to make spinners (long dumplings) later.
- Put salted beef and beef stew in soup pot.
- Add garlic powder, 4 pimento berries and the desired amount of water. Set on stove to boil for about 40 min or until meat is tender.
- Shape spinners and add to pot.
- Add yellow yam, coco, banana, callaloo, and okras and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 pack of coconut powder, escellion, thyme, garlic, whole scotch bonnet pepper, remaining pimento berries, salt and Maggi Thick n Spicy soup mix.
- STIR WELL. let simmer for 15 mins then turn off flame.
- Serve soup hot in a bowl.
See that? Very simple after all :-)
Click Here to see the full list of our easy and exciting Jamaican recipes, completely free!
Pages Related To Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Return to Free Jamaican recipes from Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Return to My Island Jamaica homepage from Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.