Jamaican Shrimp Recipes
Tasty Shrimp Dishes -Jamaican Style!
Jamaican Shrimp by Kemoy McCurbyn
I love all seafood, but moreso shrimps! Shrimp is treated like a delicacy here in Jamaica.
Outside of the cost per pound, it is a very healthy seafood - high in calcium iodine and protein. Shrimp is also healthy for the circulatory system because saturated fat is almost non-existent in shrimp.
We actually have a parish (St. Elizabeth) that has a section known as
Middle Quarters. That area is famous for its “Peppered Shrimp”. There
you will find groups of vendors on the side-walks tempting passers-by
with bags of bright red piping hot, spicy, peppered Jamaican shrimp (photo below).
From their stalls you can see big pots boiling on wood fire and plastic bowls full of shrimp that they place on well decorated tables to attract buyers.
The shrimp here is usually boiled in salted water laced with crushed scotch bonnet peppers. These spicy and salty flavours complement each other perfectly when it is absorbed by the shrimp. Most of the vendors catch their shrimp in the nearby Black River.
But like any other seafood the shrimp can be prepared in many other ways. I will outline a few of the ways we prepare shrimp here in Jamaica.
Curried Shrimp is a simple and quick meal that can be prepared in only a few minutes, and like all the other shrimp recipes this is one of the most popular and the favorite way that Jamaicans prefer to cook there shrimp. This method is mostly served with plain rice.
Scampi, is also very simple and easy way that shrimp can be prepared.
It is made with plenty of butter and garlic, onions, white wine, lemon
juice parsley and seasonings.
you like shrimp and love garlic then you'll love Garlic Shrimp. It is
also another simple but tasty way to prepare shrimp as the burst of
garlic in this recipe will certainly make your taste buds come alive.
Shrimp is a crunchy, juicy, delicious dish that can be served as full
meal or just as an appetizer. The shrimp is dipped in coconut and deep
fried until it is golden brown. I guarantee that your friends or family
will be asking for more .
Here the shrimp is dipped in batter and fried to perfection in a pan over high heat.
Jamaican Shrimp Recipes
Jamaican Coconut Shrimp
• 2lbs large shrimp, shelled, deveined, leaving tail on
• 1 cup flour
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 egg lightly beaten
• 1 cup ice water
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2/3 cup grated coconut
• 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
• Shell and devein shrimp leaving tail intact, dry well
• Combine flour, sugar salt, egg, ice water and vegetable oil, beat until smooth. Set aside
• Mix together grated coconut and curry powder.
• Dip each shrimp into batter then into coconut mixture.
• Heat ½ cup vegetable oil in frying pan
• Fry coconut shrimp in heated oil until golden brown.
Serve on its own or with salad.
Jamaican Curried Shrimp
Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
• 1 Pack pre-cooked shrimp
• 1 medium onion (Minced)
• 1 clove garlic (crushed)
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. black pepper
• ½ hot pepper
• 2 tbsp. vegetable / olive oil
• 2 tsp. curry powder
• Clean and wash shrimp
• Combine shrimp, minced onions, crushed garlic, 1 tsp. of the curried powder, black pepper and salt in dish.
• Rub in seasoning with hands thoroughly
• Leave to marinate for 30 minutes
• Hot sauce pan, add oil and the remaining 1 tsp. curried powder, and allow the curry to soak in the oil.
• Add shrimp, stir and cover for 3 minutes.
• Allow shrimp to simmer slowly over low flame for about 10 to 15 minutes
Serve with white rice and enjoy…….
Jamaican Scampi Shrimp
• 1 pack pre-cooked shrimp
• 1/3 cup butter
• 2 cloves garlic (minced)
• 1 large onion (finely chopped)
• ¼ cup dry white wine
• 2 tbsp. lemon / lime juice
• 2 tbsp. parsley
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Rinse shrimp and set aside.
• Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat.
• Cook garlic for 1 or 2 minutes or until tender, but not browned.
• Add shrimp, onions, salt, and pepper, wine and lemon juice, cook until shrimp is firm, do not overcook.
• Add chopped parsley before serving.
• Garnish with lemon slices if desired
Serve this wonderful scampi with as a first course or serve with rice, pasta and a salad for a complete meal.
Jamaican Garlic Shrimp
• 6 tbsp. butter
• 1 ½ to 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 4 to 6 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 2 to 3 tbsp. lemon/lime juice
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. black pepper
• In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until the butter stops foaming
• Add shrimp and garlic and sauté over medium heat, turning frequently, until the shrimp turns pink.
• Add the parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper, stir well
• Remove the pan from the heat.
Serve immediately with rice, pasta or salad.
Back To Top of Jamaican Shrimp Recipes
Return to Jamaican Fish Recipes from Jamaican Shrimp Dishes
Return to Homepage from Jamaican Shrimp Recipes
Recommended For You ...
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on great Jamaican products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products from their inventory.
As an ardent customer and affiliate I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Ready To Vacation?
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable HotelsCombined.com search box below.
It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
They combine the best deals from across all major booking sites and shows you only the very best!
Not quite ready to book? Start by searching (below) to get some amazing ideas now.
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page