with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Jamaican Sweet And Sour Pork
The Classic Recipe!
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Sweet And Sour Pork| PhotoCredit:@techextremegamers
I grew up on pork. My grandparents (who I grew up with) were esteemed farmers in the community who reared several animals, including yes, pigs.
And so we had the luxury of having all varieties of meat, and the best of it, including pork!
And so, pork - stewed, boiled with gungo peas soup, or stewed pork, were some of the delicacies we enjoyed!
And although I don't fancy pork anymore, a personal decision I took a few years ago because of health reasons, I take great pleasure in sharing the recipe for this delectable dish!
So here you go! The classic recipe for Sweet And Sour Pork, Jamaican style!
Jamaican Sweet & Sour Pork Recipe
- 1 pound of lean pork marinated (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
For Sauce and Garnish
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 cup pickled cucumber
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded pineapple
- Oil for frying
- Rub seasonings and sherry into pork and fry in shallow fat until golden brown.
- Drain fried pork and dredge with flour.
- Shake of the excess flour and and coat pieces with batter.
- Fry in deep fat until brown.
- Add the pickles, carrots and the pineapple slices and cook in approximately 2 tablespoons of oil for five minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, the water, the sugar and vinegar. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Blend the corn flour with 1 tablespoon water and stir in.
- Add salt to taste and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- Pour the sauce over the fried pork, then...
- Garnish with vegetables.
That's it! Go now and enjoy this sumptuous option to your pork.
I Should Tell You....
- Sweet and sour pork is typically a dinner item, but is also a feature of lunch for many local restaurants in Jamaica.
- Sweet and sour Pork is usually served with white rice, but is also had with popular Jamaican ground provisions, including boiled yam, green bananas and dumplings.
- I should also remind you that we proudly inherited sweet and sour from the Chinese who came to Jamaica (see what did the different ethnic groups bring to jamaica), and today it is one of our sought after dishes.
Watch YouTube Video! Here's A Spicy Sweet & Sour Pork Recipe Video
Yes, this one, by Debbie, is slightly different from our recipe above, but the essence of it is the same. Enjoy!
Get More Free Jamaican Recipes here
Now over to you! Please don't hesitate to share the outcome with us.
References For Jamaican Sweet And Sour Pork Recipe
- Hepburn, Laurel. Jamaica's Finest Taste For All Seasons, 1998
- Simpson, Joanne, M. Why Heritage, "A Guide To The Importance Of Our Jamaican Story"
Return to Food From Jamaica from Jamaican Sweet And Sour Pork
Return To My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Sweet And Sour Pork Recipe
Other Pages Related To Jamaican Sweet And Sour Pork
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.