with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Mouth-Watering Jamaican Mackerel Rundown
Here's My Recipe!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! For Authentic Jamaican products, from my very own hands, visit my Etsy store here.
Mackerel RunDown With Yam, Bananas and Dumpling - Jamaican Style, PhotoCredit:@skkanme IG
Take a good look at the picture, can't you smell the 'flavour'?
I'm sure you did. Nice nuh true?
Traditionally a delicacy with roasted breadfruit, boiled green bananas or flour dumplings, Jamaican mackerel rundown remains a favourite to us for generations.
And today, as part of my Jamaican recipe reviews, I'll share this simple,
budget-friendly, but impressively tasty Jamaican recipe with you.
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS
Click Here to watch my latest videos on my fun YouTube channel - you'll love it!
But just before, I must indicate to you that, like all other recipes, there are various versions; you know persons add or minus some things along the way, right? But this one has all the key ingredients.
From my recollection, the ingredients which differ across recipes are, lime juice vs vinegar, margarine, tomato and pimento.
But among them all, I came, up with this is MY version, the best :-)
How do I know that?
The kids test! They love it!
I've prepared it at least once per week over the last 2 months.
Now here is it, go and impress YOUR love ones too! :-)
Mackerel Rundown Recipe
- 1 pound mackerel
- 2 tablespoon juice of fresh lime
- 3 cups coconut milk (or the juice from 1 large coconut)
- 1 large onion,
- 2 sprigs of escallion and thyme
- 1/2 doz pimento grains, crushed.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed.
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 table spoon vinegar
- A few strips of sweet pepper (to garnish)
- Soak salt mackerel for at least 3 hours in water to remove excess salt.
- Scald for about 10 minutes, then remove from water.
- Pour over lime juice and set aside
- Boil the coconut milk over medium heat, stirring intermittently until the custard appears and begin to form.
- Add mackerel, pimento powder and garlic and lower flame
- Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes
- Cut up/ dice the onion, escallion and, with remaining spices, add to the pot.
- Simmer gently for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot.
I Should Tell You....
- Today, coconut milk is conveniently sold in powdered form in sachets, but I always recommend the original, the 'good ole' coconut first- in my opinion, nothing beats that!
If you are outside of Jamaican, you should be able to get dried coconut at your local Caribbean or West Indian supermarket, try that first please.
Barring that, you may try a reputable online retailer like Amazon.com for both the coconut or the powdered form. I noticed that they stock some of the top Jamaican brands as well.
- It is very important to soak the mackerel, if not it will be extremely salty. Three (3) hours minimum, or overnight at maximum, should be good. But remember you also want to retain the flavour of the salt mackerel as well.
Watch YouTube Video! Here's Fitting Jamaican Mackerel Rundown Recipe Video
Here is Chef Ricardo's slightly modified version on Youtube.
Get More Free Jamaican Recipes here
Now over to you! Please be sure to share a comment below to let me know how you did :-) I will respond.
Return to Food From Jamaica from Mackerel RunDown
Return To My Island Jamaica Homepage from Mackerel RunDown
Other Pages Related To Jamaican Coco Bread
Sharing IS Caring... Its now YOUR turn to...
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here.
Back To The Top Of This Page
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Back To The Top Of This Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.