with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Datsi's Authentic Jamaican Coco Bread - The Recipe!
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Traditional Jamaican Coco Bread & Patty Sandwich
Would you agree with me that our Jamaican coco bread deserves a little more respect?
What do I mean by that?
Well, you know how world-famous Jamaican patties are right?
And rightly so!
But the signature Jamaican sandwich - even with the increasing fast food craze is still... yes, Patty and Coco Bread!
But like a step child, little is often mentioned of faithful coco bread, and when it is mentioned, it's name comes with all types of other meanings and connotations.
I can hear the coco bread crying for justice!
Well, I'm playing my part in bringing equality to the fray by sharing with you this authentic Jamaican coco bread recipe - thanks to my neighbor and family friend Datsi.
Datsi has been baking for both home an pastry shop since the 1980's; I actually called her in Canada to get the recipe!
Thanks again 'Dats' if you are reading this!
So without further adieu, here now is the delectable Jamaican coco bread recipe!
Datsi's Tasty Jamaican Coco Bread Recipe
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (instead of water)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 small pack yeast mix
- 2 table spoon sugar
- 1 table spoon butter (to mix)
- 1 table spoon shortening
- 4 cups of baking flour (sifted)
- 1/4 pound of melted butter (for 'spread')
- Mix, milk, butter, shortening, yeast and sugar until the mixture thins out and curdles
- Pour in the sifted flour. Mix and knead with hands to a consistent texture, but not too hard nor too soft.
- Put dough away for approximately 20 minutes, allowing it to set (raise)
- Cut the dough into about 8-10 pieces
- Spread each cut piece on roll board/ table and press flat (rounded) into about 8 inches in diameter, about 1/8 of an inch thick
- Melt butter, and spread on top surface with brush
- Fold it evenly (in half), spread butter again on visible (top) surface and fold again in quarter.
- Optional: Use a knife to cut edges to make it round
- Optional: Use fork to press edges to give it a grit look.
- Put each away for between 8-10 minutes, and then place in oven.
- Bake at 165 degrees Celsius (approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 15- 20 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove and serve.
Hot Jamaican Coco Bread
I Should Tell You....
- Contrary to some assumptions I noted online, there is no coconut, nor coco, in Jamaican coco bread.
- To make our signature Jamaican sandwich, just slide in a Jamaican patty (as pictured a top) into the middle :-)
Where To Buy Jamaican Coco Bread
(If prefer to have it Ready-Made)
- If you are in Jamaica it is probably more convenient just to stop by and purchase coco bread at one of our many pastry shops here, which includes top brands like:
- If you are outside of Jamaica, I suggest you first try the nearest Jamaican or Caribbean supermarkets in (or nearest) your area.
- Another option is to check out Amazon. It would be a bit more pricey, but it doesn't hurt to always check the prices to inform your decision.
Watch YouTube Video! Here's Fitting Jamaican Coco Bread Recipe Video
It is a slightly modified version of Datsi's recipe but the idea is the same. Just click below to watch.
Get More Free Jamaican Recipes here
Now over to you! Please be sure to share a comment below to let me know how you did :-) I will respond.
Return to Food From Jamaica from Jamaican Coco Bread
Return To My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Coco Bread
Other Pages Related To Jamaican Coco Bread
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.