Scrumptious Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe
Simple, Step by Step!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Scrumptious Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe
There is hardly anything as satisfying as a patty. This hot, spicy and delicious treat is an economical lunch/snack. Combined with coco bread it’s a quasi national dish here in Jamaica!
As children, we couldn’t wait for our parents/ grandparents to arrive from their weekend/market trip so we can get our patty.
And yes, the beef patty, which by the way, was the first ‘flavour’, here in Jamaica, was always my favourite.
Recipe For Jamaican Beef Patty?
Click Here To Get A Simple, Step By Step Recipe - Free!
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
There are now many other varieties of patties around such as chicken, seafood, vegetable, soy, ackee and even curry goat!
There are three major franchised stores here, Tastee, Juici Patties and Mother’s, but there are also local chefs who make great tasting patties in cook shops island-wide.
One of my relatives - a chef/baker - makes the best tasting patties in his outdoor brick oven. I am here salivating as I write :-)
But did you know you can make your very own as well? It is not as difficult as you might think.
Ready? Here we go! Enjoy!
Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe
For The Dough
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 200g-250g vegetable shortening
- Salt ( to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (or curry powder)
- 2 cups icy cold water
To Fill It Up
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds boneless ground beef
- 1 pack hard crackers (crushed)/ bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 or more (as desired) finely minced scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 tbs. finely minced garlic
- 1 tbs. minced fresh thyme or pimento leaves
- salt as desired
- a dash of tomato ketchup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup finely chopped escallion
- 1/4 cup water for sealing
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Doing the Dough
- Place flour, 1 tsp. salt, and turmeric in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Rub the shortening into the flour until there are small pieces of shortening completely covered with flour.
- To this add ½ cup of the ice water and use your hands to create the dough. You will need to use a table spoon to add ice water incrementally to achieve the right texture.
- Half the dough, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Making Your Filling
- Combine ground beef, allspice and black pepper in large bowl. Set aside
- Heat oil in a skillet (or Dutchpot) until hot.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add hot pepper, garlic and thyme and continue to sauté for another minute. Add salt.
- Add seasoned ground beef and toss, break up clumps, and let cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the ketchup and remaining ingredients (except the escallion). If you are using bread crumbs don’t go overboard (your aim is to thicken the filling).
- Pour in 2 cups of water and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Fold in escallion.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
Now The Patties
- Gather the additional ingredients. Beat the egg and water together to make an egg wash. Set aside.
- Flour the work surface and rolling pin. Take one of the large pieces of dough and roll into a large circle. Take a round bowl and use it to cut out proportionate circles.
- Place desired portion of filling onto 1/2 of each circle. Dip a finger into the water and dampen the edges of the pastry. Fold over the other half and press firmly to seal.
- Use a fork and crimp the edges. Cut off any extra. Place each onto a lined baking sheet and continue to work until you have rolled all the dough and filled the patties. Trim off extras for neatness.
- Place your creation onto a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat until done.
Its Baking Time- We’re Almost There!
- Set the pans in the refrigerator then heat oven to 350℉.
- Brush the patties with the egg wash and place them immediately into the oven.
- Bake patties for 30 minutes or until golden /yellow-orange.
- Serve as hot as you like!
See? It's not that hard after all, just be sure to follow the step. Be sure to write back and let us know how it went :-)
Watch Video! LIVE Jamaican Beef Patty Challenge
Who do you think make the best tasting Jamaican Beef Patties right now? In this video, called the ultimate #JamaicanPattyChallenge, we put the top three patty brands (Juici, Tastee and Mothers) to the test!
And the result WILL surprise you!
Other Pages Related To Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe
Return to Free Jamaican Recipes from Jamaican Beef Patty
Return To My Island Jamaica Home from Jamaican Beef Patty
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.