Places with 'Pen' names in Jamaica - What with them? How Many Are There?
May Pen, Jamaica
How many more places in Jamaica have the word "Pen" included in them? What is its significance in Jamaican place names?
Is it something like how the word "waite" is used in names in England's Lake District, such as Braithwaite? Do you know?
I know of 'May Pen', and now in your latest e-zine
of 'Devon Pen'.ANSWER: by Wellesley, May 15, 2013
Very interesting question my friend! I know I can depend on you for such critical thinking.
Yes, place names does have some significance here and much of them are derived from the colonial days.This page
from the National Library of Jamaica list some of the unusual ones and the history of them, but it would appear that in general, most either have something to do with the uniqueness of the actual geographical location or the family name of the master, owner or plantation that it was on.But what's special about the PEN?
Beats me, but rest assured, I'll be checking around.
In the meantime though, I've done some brainstorming and researching and has created this list:
- Bamboo Pen (Old House, St. Andrew)
- Bonny Pen (St. Mary)
- Bowden Pen (Portland)
- Chambers Pen (Hanover)
- Christian Pen (Portmore, St. Catherine)
- Church Pen (Old Harbour, St. Catherine)
- Clermont Pen (St. Mary)
- Content Pen (St. Ann)
- Coopers Pen (Trelawny)
- Cottage Pen (Manchester)
- Cranbrook Pen (St. Anns Bay, St. Ann)
- Cuffes Pen (St. Elizabeth)
- Dean Pen (St. Mary)
- Dempshire Pen (St. Catherine)
- Devon Pen (St. Mary)
- Duncans Pen (St. Catherine)
- Ellerslie Pen (Spanish Town. St. Catherine)
- Ensom Pen (Now Ensom City, St. Catherine)
- Faith's Pen (St. Ann)
- Farm Pen (Westmoreland)
- Fyffe's Pen (St. Elizabeth)
- Gordon Pen (St. Catherine)
- Grants Pen (Kingston)
- Industry Pen (Three Hills, St Mary)
- Jew Pen (Bog Walk, St Catherine)
- Kingswood Pen (Westmoreland)
- Lakes Pen (St. Catherine)
- Lennox Pen (Darliston, Westmoreland)
- Luana Pen (Black River, St. Elizabeth)
- March Pen (St. Catherine)
- Marshall's Pen (Manchester)
- May Pen (Clarendon)
- McCooks Pen (St. Catherine)
- Nanse Pen (Kingston)
- Rhoden Pen (Old Harbour, St. Catherine)
- Slipe Pen (Kingston)
- Tawes Pen (St. Catherine)
- Thompson Pen (St. Catherine)
- Tinson Pen (Kingston)
- Trench Pen (Now Trench Town, Kingston)
- Waterhouse Pen (St. Andrew)
- Wild Pen (St. Elizabeth)
- Wynters Pen (St. Catherine)
It is not complete, but this is certainly eye-opening! To my surprise, many of them are from the parish of St. Catherine! Did you notice?
I wonder if there are any historians in this audience who could shed some light on it?
I am also going to invite my readers to join in by submitting other places using the comment form
But now, my thoughts are wandering, I am thinking I need to do the same for "Town" in Jamaica, eg. Albert Town (Trelawny) :-) That should be interesting.
Related: Places in Jamaica with Spanish Names
See also: Famous Places In Jamaica
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.