by Kemoy McCurbyn
Jamaica has bred some (actually most) of reggae music icons. Some of these notable ladies and gentlemen had to overcome the unthinkable odds to 1) rise above the fold and 2) be successful - not just in Jamaica but on the international area.
These experiences have inspired them to create new songs and wrote lyrics that are not only lessons for us to live by, but also a powerful source of motiation and inspiration.
Below I will highlight some of the most popular quotes from four esteemed gentlemen, Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff and Ziggy Marley.
They cover among things quotes about life, family, religion, relationships, leadership and even politics.
Jimmy Cliff (James Chambers)
1. “So as sure as the sun will shine, I’m gonna get my share now of what is mine, and the harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all.” – Jimmy Cliff.
2. “If you go out to Hollywood you’ll find a lot of fantastic plastic people there in the business and a lot of people in life generally. They find it so hard to be themselves that they have to be plastic.” – Jimmy Cliff
3. “I have a career which is important, but my family is priority. First family, then career. It’s a delicate balance.” – Jimmy Cliff
4. “I have not become the artiste I believe I am. I want to become a stadium act. I’m not done at all.” – Jimmy Cliff
5. “People in the Hall of Fame tend to clap their hands and say, “Ok, I’ve done it all,” but for me, it was a new beginning.” – Jimmy Cliff
1. “Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.” – Peter Tosh
2. “I am not a politician, I only suffer the consequences.” – Peter Tosh
3. “I’ve got to pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.” Peter Tosh
4. “The flesh never fades, the flesh never leave the creation, because with that divine spirit the flesh cannot fade. If the spirit is weak then the flesh will fade.” – Peter Tosh
5. “To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death.” – Peter Tosh
David Nesta “Ziggy” Marley is a Jamaican musician and leader of the band Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers. He is the eldest son of reggae legend Bob Marley, and just like his father his words are a source of inspiration to many. (see Bob Marley Quotes)
1. “My dream is to live a good life and be loving, be close to God and be a good human being and bring peace to people.” – Ziggy Marley
2. “God is like the sun. When the sun shines, it shines for everyone. God is for everyone.” – Ziggy Marley
3. “I am a leader. Leaders get heat. They are always going against the grain. Jimi Hendrix got heat; Bob Marley got heat; Miles Davis got heat. Every artiste got heat. Heat means you are doing something right.” – Ziggy Marley
4. “No matter the bad things that happened in past time, let’s try to live the best we can now.” – Ziggy Marley
5. “The political system is not for the people. The people are secondary to the economy. It’s about what generates money, not about what benefits the people.” – Ziggy Marley.
I hope that these will not only increase your awareness and expand your vision of issues, but also provide a true sense of inspiration and motivation.
Back To Top of Reggae Quotes
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here. It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!Back To The Top Of This Page