What Is In Rose Hall Jamaica?
History, Fun & Adventure In Montego Bay
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
What Is In Rose Hall Jamaica? | Rose Hall Great House
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
If you have visited western Jamaica at any point, there is a strong possibility that you have gone to Rose Hall without even realising it.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
Rose Hall’s claim to fame comes from Its owner, the now-deceased Annie Palmer who is rumoured to have been Jamaica’s very own wicked witch. The plantation owner is believed to have killed three husbands, several lovers and slaves. Annie herself was killed by a slave who, it was thought, was her partner.
The Rose Hall Great House tour is a historical rewind filled with mysterious occurrences and is a must if you visit Jamaica. The imposing Great House overlooks the Caribbean Sea.
Aside from that, Rose Hall is a thriving resort area filled with all-inclusive hotels, shopping centres, restaurants, beaches and golf courses.
This area is often the backdrop for many special occasions including birthdays, anniversaries and weddings.
Why is it called Rose Hall?
Rose Hall is so named because of the Rose Hall Great House located in the area. The great house got its name from its first mistress Rosa, John Palmer's first wife.
John Palmer married Annie Palmer following the death of Rosa.
What To Do In Rose Hall
Half Moon Golf Course
Golf on the north coast is one of the best attractions in Montego Bay and there are 3 golf courses in Rose Hall.
- Half Moon Golf Course - As far as golfing resorts go, Half Moon continues to be included on the list of the best in the world. The hotel itself is something to talk about, (and we did right here), but the golf course and the caddies are just as impressive. The traditional Robert Trent Jones Sr. course has a global reputation for being as difficult as it is beautiful.
Half Moon, one of Jack Nicklaus' "Great Golf Resorts of the World," has played host to several illustrious competitions, including the Red Stripe Pro-Am, the Dunhill Cup Final of the Americas, and the Jamaica Open Golf Championship. A Caddy Master is on duty to assist golfers with their needs.
- Cinnamon Hill Golf Course - A part of the Rose Hall estate, Cinnamon Hill is noted for its 17-hole course and expert caddies who were lauded for their knowledge and professionalism in the golfer’s magazine, “The Best In The World.”
- White Witch Golf Course - An 18-hole championship course created by Robert von Hagge and Rick Baril, situated on the ancient 4,000-acre Rose Hall Estate and spread across 200 acres of lush vegetation and rolling landscape. The White Witch is so named for the old mistress of Rose Hall, Annie Palmer who is infamous for her treacherous ways and for practising witchcraft.
There are many areas to shop in and around Rose Hall. You can find clothes, liquor, jewellery, supermarkets and marts. Most of these shops accept cards; if not and you need cash, there are ATMs all around.
The best places to shop in Rose Hall are:
- The Shoppes at Rose Hall (Main Street Rose Hall)
- Half Moon Shopping Village
- Whitter Village
- Blue Diamond Shopping Mall
Rose Hall is overflowing with all types of resorts. All-inclusive, adults-only, family, spa and wellness resorts scatter the coastline of this part of St. James.
Some of the popular ones are:
Half Moon Resort
Holiday Inn Express
Hilton Rose Hall
Does Hilton Rose Hall have water slides?
Yes, Hilton Resort in Rose Hall does have water slides which are always a big hit for children.
Spa and Wellness
The benefit of staying in Rose Hall is that you’ll get the best of both worlds. You will only be 15-20 minutes away from the height of all activity on the Hip Strip.
You can visit some of the best restaurants and experience entertainment like no other, then head back to your hotel on the quieter side of town for a peaceful rest. The famous Doctor’s Cave Beach, Margaritaville, Dead End Beach, Coral Cliff and Usain Bolt’s Tracks and Records are all in this area.
Attractions in Rose Hall
What airport do you fly into for Rose Hall Jamaica?
The quickest way to get to Rose Hall is by flying to the Donald Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay, St. James.
How far is Rose Hall from the airport?
Rose Hall is approximately 20 minutes away from the Donald Sangster International Airport.
You might prefer to be at a villa instead of a resort for more privacy or a more intimate experience with your butler and the rest of the staff. These and other villas in Rose Hall are available on most booking websites, including Airbnb:
- Nutmeg Villa
- Bungalow Cottage
- Endless Summer Villa
- Flower Hill Villa
- 9jajam African Restaurant
- Smokeez by the Sea
- Spiritz of Montego Bay
- Jerk Hut
- Sugar Mill (Half Moon)
The mystery, history, delights and pleasures of Rose Hall await you…grab your tickets and get here.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Attractions In Montego Bay from What is in Rose Hall Jamaica?
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from What is in Rose Hall Jamaica?
References & Sources For What is in Rose Hall Jamaica?
- Montego Bay Golf Courses: For the best of golfing in Jamaica (no date) My. Available at: https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/montego_bay_golf_courses.html (Accessed: October 26, 2022).
- Rose Hall Great House at Nights (no date) My. Available at: https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/rose-hall-great-house-at-nights.html (Accessed: October 26, 2022).
What is in Rose Hall Jamaica | Written: October 26, 2022
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.