Work And Travel Jamaica
A Chance To See The World!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Work And Travel Programmes In Jamaica
by Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
University can get really expensive quite quickly, especially for full-time students. Many have turned to work and travel Jamaica programmes through different agencies to secure jobs overseas during their summer breaks to help alleviate some of the financial burdens.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
What is the Summer Work and Travel Programme?
Post-secondary students get the chance to experience the traditions, cultures, and way of life of another country through the Summer Work and Travel Programme.
The programme's main goal is to improve cultural awareness through regular contact with people from different countries, both inside and outside of professional settings. During their summer break, this programme enables students to travel and work on the go for up to four (4) months.
What Responsibilities Do the Agencies Have to you?
- prior to departure, hold a sensitization workshop to familiarize students with the demands of the host nation and its employers.
- prior to leaving the place of origin, ensure that student documentation is processed correctly at the expense of the agency.
- before entering the host nation, make sure that students are successfully put in a job.
- employers in the host country should be informed of the student's arrival and departure dates.
- make sure the housing options are appropriate. Verify the housing arrangements and provide your approval. Make acceptable alternative arrangements if the current ones are insufficient.
- help students submit insurance claims
How much does the work and travel Programme cost?
Each agency has its own fees and financial obligations however, work and travel programmes cost participants between US$900 and US$1,800 in most cases.
Popular Work and Travel Agencies
1. 876Career Source International (C.S.I)
Conducts a Summer Work and Travel Cultural Exchange Programme that enables Jamaican students to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience in the United States while working for an American company and residing in a welcoming environment.
All around the United States, they provide a variety of work and travel packages. They assist everyone in fitting into one of their programmes or specifically tailoring a programme to fit the potential candidates. They now have several J-1 and Visa programmes available. They are:
- Internship - Internship programmes are created to enable foreign college and university students and recent graduates to travel to the United States in order to experience American culture and obtain practical business experience in the selected field of study.
- Summer Work Travel - The Summer Work Travel programme is designed exclusively for University/College students who are enrolled full-time at a recognised tertiary level academic institution outside of the United States and are pursuing their studies there. With the help of this programme, these kids will be able to spend their summer vacations working and travelling in the United States.
- Camp Counsellor - Foreign tertiary-level students and youth workers interact with American youngsters at summer camps under the Camp Counselor programme.
- Phone: +1 876-632-6806
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Explore Your World
Since 2001, Explore Your World has been a registered business and they have been accepting Jamaican students on work and travel programmes since 2006. As a registered J1 provider with the Ministry of Labour, they have the necessary requirements to send students to the United States for work opportunities. Explore your world is committed to “breaking down barriers through love”.
The programme is a part of the exchange visitor programme, which permits international students to work legally for up to four months, from June to October every year. Accepted participants in the programme receive a DS2019 form, which they must submit to the US embassy to apply for a J1 visa.
Who Can Participate in the Programme?
- If you want to participate in the WAT USA, you must be:
- a full-time learner
- enrolling in an accredited 2-4 year programme at a tertiary institution
- 18 to 30 years old
- willing to travel to your home country for the interview and orientation sessions
- a citizen of the nation from which you are competing (in this case Jamaica)
- Address: TIC, UTech, 237 Old Hope Rd, Kingston 7
- Telephone: +1 (876) 483-8205 | +1(876) 898-5001 (Digicel) |+1 (876) 782-0962 (Flow)
- Email: email@example.com
3. Summer Choice Work and Travel
Craig Edwards founded Summer Choice Work and Travel after enrolling in the work and travel programme in 2005. He has spent the last 16 years travelling to and from the US. He began recruiting ten years ago with the goal of sharing the same experience with others, and he has since established his own work and travel business.
This programme includes a Cultural Exchange in addition to employment and travel. You will have the opportunity to live and interact with students from a variety of other cultures in addition to learning more about US culture. You can be expected to take part in various cross-cultural activities.
- Must be a Full-Time Student
- Must Pass Lifeguard Training Course
- Must be available from May through September
- Must be between the ages of 18-28
4. Overseas Work and Travel
A committed team at Overseas Work and Travel works to make great Work and Travel, Internship/Training, or Teach-USA experiences possible by keeping costs low and promoting cross-cultural interaction in the pursuit of improving the world.
They have been in operation for 9 years and provide a wide range of cross-cultural activities. Programmes are:
- Summer Work & Travel
- Internship & Training
- Teach USA
- Address: 137 Maxfield Ave, Suite 5, Kingston 10, Jamaica
- Phone: +1 (876) 283-8835
These are just a few of the many work and travel jamaica agencies available, always remember to ask questions and do your due diligence before selecting an agency to work with.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to US Embassy Jamaica from Work and Travel Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Work and Travel Jamaica
References & Sources For Work and Travel Jamaica
- Go Explore Your World, http://www.goexploreyourworld.org/programme.aspx
- Summer Choice, https://summerchoiceworkandtravel.com/
- Overseas Work and Travel, http://overseasworkandtravel.com/
- Work and Travel Programme — UTech, Ja., https://www.utech.edu.jm/campus-experience/career-placement/work-and-travel-programme
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.