Traditional Jamaican Black Christmas cake
by Cutel Francis
(NY, Mount Vernon, United States )
I was reading your recipes and the Jamaican black cake reminds me of my baking days. I have baked this cake every Christmas from I was 24 years old until I was 52 years old.
In the first 4 years I only baked a 2 pound mixture, there afterwards I baked 2 batches of 2 pounds mixture.
Most of it was given away to family and friends.
This was my recipe...
- 2 lbs. margarine (I used to use the dairy maid 2 lb. tub)
- 2 lbs. brown sugar
- 2 lbs all purpose flour (I used the JF Mills package flour, it had a yellow label)
- 16 eggs
- Half bottle browning (I use either eve or Geddy’s)
- 8 tteaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons mixed spice
- 3 teaspoons rose water
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- ¼ cup vanilla
- 2.5 lbs. fruits (raisins, prunes, cherries)
- ½ gallon red label wine
- 1.5 cups white rum
- Cream margarine and sugar
- Beat in eggs into mixture
- Divide flour into 3 parts and fold into mixture a portion at a time.
- In the last third of flour combine baking powder and other dry ingredients and fold into mixture
- Add rose water, almond extract, vanilla, and browning to mixture and fold in.
- Add fruits (fruits previously soaked in wine for months up to a year and slightly blended)
- Add ¼ cup rum
- Add wine so that it is not too runny in consistency.
I like to steam bake it hence the reason for the extra wine. The baking time is much longer.
Pour into greased baking tins and bake at 350 F or 180 C.
Mix remaining wine and rum and use to periodically wet cakes to keep them moist.
C. FrancisWellesley's Note
This is beautiful, and timely - right in time for the holidays. Thanks again for sharing Cutel.
Recommended For You
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on great Jamaican products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products from their inventory.
As an ardent customer and affiliate I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Ready To Vacation?
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable HotelsCombined.com search box below.
It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
They combine the best deals from across all major booking sites and shows you only the very best!
Not quite ready to book? Start by searching (below) to get some amazing ideas now.
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page