Simple & Easy
Jamaican Chicken Recipes
Drum Pani Jerk Chicken
Jamaican Chicken Recipes - by Rosemarie Gordon
Chicken is the main stay of most Jamaican dishes, chicken is even more popular than the National Dish (Ackee and Saltfish).
My guess is because of the many ways you are able to prepare it, and in addition, chicken is still one of the easiest meats
Jump To The Recipes
There is no way you can spoil a chicken dish, yes not even you :-).
Its flexibility makes the number of its recipes endless.
In fact, there are some households in Jamaica that chicken is prepared almost every day whether it’s;
Since time or space will not allow me to share all the known Jamaican chicken recipes, here are the recipes for two of my personal favorite:
Two Popular Jamaican Chicken Recipes
BROWN STEW CHICKEN
- 1 small chicken
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A dash of black pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic (or as much as you can handle)
- 3 stalks scallion
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes
- ½ cup cooking oil of your choice
- About 5 sprigs of thyme preferably dried
- 1 tablespoon browning (or molasses)
- 3 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium Irish potatoes
- 2 cups water
Now, I am not a fan of having the skin on the chicken, but if you are that’s fine.
- So we start by removing the skin/or
not and washing the chicken.
- On your second wash I recommend that you use some lime juice or vinegar to tenderize the flesh
and of course give a better wash.
- Chop chicken in small portion add salt, black pepper, soy sauce, browning or molasses.
- Chop garlic, onion, scallion, thyme, tomatoes and pepper (please try and avoid including the seed, unless you would love to see flames coming through your ears).
- In a hot skillet or dutch pot add the oil.
- As soon as it is hot enough place meat and allow to brown.
- When both sides are done add all the remaining ingredients with a cup of water
- Cover and allowed to simmer until cooked.
This is enough for about seven people and can be served with whatever you want, bread, a plate of dumplings, yams and green
bananas or rice. The choice is yours, enjoy!
JAMAICAN CURRIED CHICKEN
The only difference with preparing Jamaican curried chicken, as oppose to Jamaican brown stew (above), is the addition and removal of a few items;
- The addition of 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 pack coconut milk
- Removal of the browning or molasses and the soy sauce
- You can either put the curry directly on the meat or burn it by adding it to a hot skillet with cooking oil.
- Add remaining ingredient cover and allowed to simmer until cooked.
This can also be had with whatever your taste buds desire, but, try it with some white rice or boiled dumplings (included in the pic here). I am sure you will like it.
More: Free Jamaican Recipes here
Return to Jamaican Food from Easy Jamaican Chicken Recipes.
Return to HomePage from Jamaican Chicken Recipes.
Back to Top of Easy Jamaican chicken recipe
Make sure you subscribe to my free monthly e-zine My Island Jamaica
Digest (MIJD) and stay with the latest from Jamaica!
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/myislandjamaica
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/myislandjamaica
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world. You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative on the social media of your choice and ask others to do the same (BELOW).
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.
Top Of Page
Get Exclusive Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below: