This is the second of the Jamaican jerk chicken recipes we have here. The original was submitted by Tracie Blake and is posted here.
Contributed by Shermaine Anderson-Gayle
Known and loved worldwide, the Jamaican Jerk chicken is an ideal for almost any occasion here.
It is generally a spicy dish, but jerk chicken can be done without the hot spices as well. I'll introduce you to the yardie (local) style of preparing jerk chicken.
- 3 – 4 lbs chicken or leg quarters
- 5 scotch bonnet peppers
- 3 tsp thyme
- 3 medium onions
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil (optional)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 10 cloves garlic
- Ensure that chicken is properly thawed, cleaned and wash with vinegar or lime.
- Cut in desired pieces.
- Chop onions garlic and peppers.
- In a blender, blend all the ingredients.
- Rub ingredients onto chicken and ensure that it is rubbed under skin and cavities.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for an hour or overnight in the refrigerator - not the freezer.
By the way, you get the prepared jerk seasoning at most supermarkets that shelve Jamaican or Caribbean groceries - Walkers Wood Jerk Seasoning is a popular choice. That way you only need to rub it on the chicken!
- Grill chicken slowly, occasionally adding the blended seasoning until chicken is tender.
- Cool and serve with bread, rice, spaghetti or your choice of food.
Now sit and let your tasted buds go wild in jerk chicken heaven, you are sure to enjoy it, and probably want more!
P.S. Another way to prepare it is to grill over pimento branches and charcoal to give the signature jerk flavour.
Make sure you get more free Jamaican recipes here.
Back to Top of Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipes
And please, don't miss these exciting pages:
Make sure you subscribe to my free monthly e-zine My Island Jamaica Digest (MIJD) and stay with the latest from Jamaica!
Didn't find exactly what you were looking for?
Do a quick search of the entire site.
Back to Top
Return to HomePage from Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipes