10 Health Benefits and Uses Of Cucumber In Jamaica
by Deon Clarke | Associate Writer
The Cucumis Sativus
(scientific name) or Cucumber
is a nutritional powerhouse filled with numerous health benefits. Belonging to the same family as squash and melon it has a very high water content. Cucumbers also contain three important lignans (pinoresinol, lariciresinol, and secoisolariciresinol) which are known to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as ovarian, breast and prostate cancers, just to name a few.
Cucumbers are grown all year round right here in Jamaica and is easily accessible from the local food markets and supermarkets. Let’s take a look at 10 health benefits of this vegetable.
- It is A Nutritional Powerhouse – The cucumber is considered a superfood loaded with all the vitamins you need daily. These include Vitamin C, the B Vitamins, Vitamin K1, copper, potassium, manganese, and fibre. By eating just one cucumber each day, you will complete your daily dose of multivitamins.
- It Helps To Relieve Stress – By boiling a few slices of cucumber and inhaling the steam, you will find relief from a stressful day. The aroma from the cucumber promotes a feeling of calm while relieving anxiety. You can kick this up a notch by adding a few drops of lavender oil which also contains an excellent source of anxiety-reducing properties. It’s no surprise that cucumbers are so often used in spas all over the world.
- It is a Great Detoxifier - Due to its high water content, the cucumber is not only great for keeping the body hydrated but it is also a great detoxifier. Research has shown that the cucumber performs cleansing action within the body, removing old waste materials and chemical toxins.
- It Boosts The Immune System - Due to its high nutritional content, the cucumber serves as a great booster to the immune system. It is great for treating ailments such as the common cold or flu viruses, and its anti-inflammatory properties help to fight nose and throat inflammation during a cold.
- It Helps To Regulate Blood Pressure – If you are suffering from high blood pressure, the cucumber could be one of your best friends as its high potassium content helps with the regulation of blood pressure by elevating electrolyte levels while mitigating against the damaging effects of over-intake of sodium.
- It Improves The Digestive System – Cucumbers can help if you are suffering from constipation as it has a very high fibre content to keep you regular and improve your overall digestive health.
- It Helps To Eliminate Bad Breath - No one wants to have halitosis (bad breath). If you are suffering from this condition, you may want to consider having some cucumber instead of eating sugary breath mints. The cucumber contains phytochemicals that kill the bacteria that cause bad breath and even cavities. A slice after breakfast will keep you fresh all day.
- It Fights Free Radicals - Like its cousin, the melon, cucumbers are high in anti-oxidants which prevents the spread of free radical damage in the body that can result in cancer and premature ageing.
- It Rejuvenates The Skin - You will find that the cucumber is loaded with compounds that rejuvenate and refreshes the skin both within and outside. All you need to do is just make a pulpy mixture of cucumber with a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this as a face mask and wait for amazing results. To reduce puffy eyes, slices of cucumber can be placed around the eyes on the swollen areas. Receive amazing results within minutes.
- It Enhances Brain Function - The cucumber has a naturally high copper content which is essential for brain function. It contains a chemical known as festin which is considered to be effective in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
I did say 10 but I have a bonus for you!
- It helps To Keep Hair Strong and Shiny - Hair growth requires silicone, sulphur, calcium, phosphorus and calcium, all of which are contained in the cucumber. Regular consumption of cucumber can reduce hair loss and strengthen your hair shafts. The compounds found within the cucumber also help your hair to look shiny and healthy. Just massage cucumber juice into your hair and allow it to rest for around 10 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
So there you have it. The cucumber is so cool! Who knew that the cucumber was such a powerful vegetable with so many amazing health benefits! This one will certainly be my new best veggie friend. What do you think?
I also recommend you read Jamaican Carrot Juice Recipe Home-made, Authentic!
- Interesting health benefits of cucumber, Jamaica Gleaner, https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/health/20160413/interesting-health-benefits-cucumber
- What Are the Benefits of Eating Cucumbers? 8 Health Benefits, MedicineNet, https://www.medicinenet.com/what_are_the_benefits_of_eating_cucumbers/article.htm
- Health benefits of cucumber: 10 reasons to eat more cucumbers this summer | India.com, https://www.india.com/lifestyle/health-benefits-of-cucumber-10-reasons-to-eat-more-cucumbers-this-summer-2036915/
We would love to hear what you have to say. We welcome you to share your thoughts and comments here!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to article_submission.
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.