How LARGE is Jamaica?
Ever wondered how big is Jamaica, the size of Jamaica, or just how LARGE is Jamaica compared to other countries?
I'll answer that now and share some live country and state comparisons.
How large is Jamaica?ANSWER: by Wellesley
Ok, some assumptions here again. I am assuming that you are speaking to the size of the island in distance or dimensions, right?
If you are looking for the size of the island in terms of the population, you can find that here
The simple answer is perhaps... NOT large AT ALL :-)
The length of the island
is just two hundred and thirty three point six (233.6) kilometers - that is one hundred and forty six (146 miles), while the width of the island
is eighty one point six (81.6) kilometers or 51 miles - at its widest section.
The total land area of Jamaica is ten thousand, nine hundred and ninety one (10,991) square kilometers or four thousand, two hundred and forty four (4,244) square miles. That makes Jamaica comparable to the US state of Florida, with approximately 139,670 sq km, and just slightly smaller than Connecticut.
The USA (9,833,517 sq km) is about 895 times bigger than Jamaica (10,991 sq km)!
That said, Jamaica is still the largest English speaking country in the Caribbean and the third largest overall in the Caribbean.
Other US state and country comparisons
- Jamaica is about 62 times smaller than Texas.
- Jamaica is about 11 times smaller than New York.
New York is approximately 122,283 sq km, while Jamaica is approximately 10,991 sq km
- Jamaica is about 12 times smaller than Alabama
- Jamaica is about 2 times smaller than Massachusetts
- Jamaica is about 11 times smaller than Pennsylvania.
- Jamaica is about 704 times smaller than Australia.
- Jamaica is about 908 times smaller than Canada.
- Jamaica is about 22 times smaller than United Kingdom.
- Jamaica is about 873 times smaller than China.
- Jamaica is about 22 times smaller than Ghana.
That land mass, you may want to know, is divided into three (3) counties, and further into fourteen (14) parishes
. And for those interested in the population of Jamaica...
, according to the World Population Review, Jamaica's population is estimated to be 2,951,461 at mid year (June) 2019.
That puts Jamaica in 138th position as the world's most populous country.
I hope that helped.
You can learn more about the dimensions and size of the parishes in Jamaica here
So how well do you think we are doing, relative to our size? As usual, I welcome your feedback here
P.S. Have another question? Submit it here for an
P.P. S. We've answered HUNDREDS of questions, click here
to get even more answers.
- Team Jamaica Handbook, 5th edition, 2017
- "Jamaica Population 2019", http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/jamaica-population/
- "Jamaica - Nations Online Project", https://www.nationsonline.org › oneworld › jamaica
- "Country Size Comparison", https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country-size-comparison/united-states/jamaica
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.