Is Jamaica Worth Visiting?
What Will My Vacation Be Like?
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Is Jamaica Worth Visiting?
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
Some people are a little bit on the fence when travelling to Jamaica. Is it worth it? I will say, yes it is but since I am Jamaican, you might think my answer is a little bit biased. And it very well may be. But, maybe after you’ve heard my reasons for this, it will change your mind.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
- Location - When it comes to location, Jamaica is in proximity to quite a few countries. For example, it is only 2 hours away from Miami. There are also multiple flights daily to and from Jamaica and multiple states in the US and Canada. This makes Jamaica perfect for a spontaneous vacation destination or a trip with limited days. It is also in the same time zone which makes it easier to adjust in Jamaica.
- Weather - So the location might be a little bit of a distance for you if you live in Europe or eastern countries. But if you are from a country where the temperatures drop significantly, then a trip to Jamaica is the perfect way to escape the cold.
- Culture - Jamaica is such an ethnically diverse country which makes for a rich culture. You will also get to experience Jamaica at its best and you can attend the parties and visit as many historical sites as possible to learn more about and fully immerse yourself in our culture. Our music and customs are an amalgamation of multiple influences from our African, Indian, Chinese and European ancestry.
- Cuisine - While our food is quite popular, especially in countries where there are many Jamaican migrants, there is nothing like Jamaican food on the island. Imagine your own ¼ of Jerk chicken wrapped in foil in one hand, a cold Red Stripe in the other while sitting by the beach or at a bar and grilling with the locals enjoying the live band or sound system playing in the background.
- Budget - If you are on a budget, then you won’t have to break the bank just for a little R and R. The cost to stay in Jamaica ranges from 1,500 to 3,500 for an entire week depending on how comfortable or luxurious you would like for your vacation to be. Generally, if you decide to stay at a resort, all you will have to worry about paying for after that is admission and in some cases transportation to attractions, you would love to visit.
Food, drink and stay will already have been covered at your resort. Some resorts even include transportation to and from the airport and may also have access passes to sister resorts. A common misconception is that Jamaica’s all-inclusive is for adults only. While there are many adults-only or clothing-optional resorts, there are many family-friendly hotels as well.
- Attractions - Jamaica is much more than a beach; if you have seen one, you haven’t seen them all. The pristine white sands of Negril are a complete contrast to the black sand beaches you will come across in southern St. Elizabeth. Also, the calm waters in Montego Bay are more suited for snorkelling than surfing.
For that, you will have to head to Portland. And that is just the beach as well there are so many beautiful waterfalls or rivers that lead into the Caribbean Sea such as Dunn’s River Falls or the Blue Lagoon which provides a completely different experience. If you aren’t a fan of the beach, climbing waterfalls, riding horseback along in the sea or rafting down the Martha Brae or Rio Cobre, then take your adventures to the mountains instead.
Here you can hike, ride or camp in the mountains overlooking some of the most breathtaking scenes on the island. Take a coffee tour in the picturesque blue mountains or head to the Cockpit Country to see some of Jamaica’s most diverse flora and fauna, some of which have only ever been found in that specific location in the entire world.
Jamaica is also not just for avid partygoers. No matter what group you fall into, there is a vacation waiting for you in Jamaica. You may be considering whether Jamaica may be a safe option for a few reasons, whether it is violence or promiscuity.
When it comes to violence, the rate in Jamaica is quite high. However, these numbers are found in the areas where gang-related activities are prominent. Every country has less desirable areas, even for the locals. Also, since Jamaica is such a small country, (smaller than many cities in the world), bad seems worst. Crime is a concern but not a deterrent in Jamaica.
When it comes to exposing your child or children to more adult themes, it may seem Jamaica is one of the leading places you should avoid. Surprisingly for many, it is quite the opposite, Jamaica is quite conservative in many instances. One of the things we are most known for is marijuana and smoking. However, marijuana was only decriminalised, not legalised a few years ago.
For those who would love to partake in medicinal marijuana, you can visit one of the local weed dispensaries to do so safely and legally.
So you see, there is a reason to visit Jamaica for everyone, whether it is its location, weather, culture, attractions, cuisine, budget etc. There is something for everyone to enjoy.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Attractions from Is Jamaica Worth Visiting?
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Is Jamaica Worth Visiting?
References & Sources For Is Jamaica Worth Visiting?
- Holt, S. (2017) Reasons why you should visit Jamaica at least once, Culture Trip. The Culture Trip. Available at: https://theculturetrip.com/caribbean/jamaica/articles/11-reasons-why-you-should-visit-jamaica-at-least-once/ (Accessed: November 22, 2022).
- Is jamaica worth visiting (and where should you stay)? (2021) Travel 80. Available at: https://travel80.com/visiting-jamaica/ (Accessed: November 22, 2022).
- Jamaica Villa Vacation Rental and travel guide (2022) Make It Jamaica. Available at: https://blog.makeitjamaica.com/is-jamaica-worth-visiting/ (Accessed: November 22, 2022).
Is Jamaica Worth Visiting? | Written: November 22, 2022
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.