Quick Jamaican Breakfast
3 Simple & Easy Ideas!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Ackee & Saltfish Jamaican breakfast -with fried dumplings
by Rosalee Phang
Without you asking, I'll hasten to tell you that, outside of the obvious, ackee and saltfish and fried dumplings - which is my favourite, perhaps the most popular Jamaican breakfast menu ideas are these:
- The commonly assualted - Bread & Egg
- Cornmeal Porridge &
- Callaloo and boiled bananas
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
1) Egg & Bread - Jamaican Style
This go-to breakfast is prepared in 5 minutes or less using one or more eggs. Fried to your liking, adding a pinch of salt and black pepper and placed between two slices of (usually) hardough bread .
The egg is sometime accompanied by fried plantains.
2) Cornmeal Porridge - Jamaican Style
Cornmeal porridge, admittedly, is not love by many Jamaican children but eaten by all. Another quick fix, takes no more than about 10 to 15 minutes to prepare.
Here is the recipe.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 5 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tst grated nutmeg
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Add a pinch of salt to three cups of water and put to boil in a pot.
- Mix cornmeal with 2 cups of room temperature water and mix vigorously until smooth.
- Add mixture to boiling water and stir routinely to avoid lumps.
- Cook for 5 - 10 minutes
- Mix in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg on low heat.
- Add sweeten condensed milk for taste.
- Served while hot, with or without, the good 'ole Jamaican water crackers.
3) Boiled Bananas & Calalloo - Ja'can Style
Calaloo and green banana - with pear on the side :-)
I could tell you all about the nutritional and health benefits of callaloo (like spinach), but that's a different discussion, today is just a mention ;-)
The boiled bananas is pretty straightforward, you simply put a few freshly peeled fingers of banana in the boiling water, with a pinch of salt and allow to cook.
Now the calaloo, let me get you the recipe for preparing the calalloo - Jamaican style! Scroll down and follow me now.
- 1 lb. callaloo
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 tbpsn diced sweet pepper
- 1 tbpsn escallion
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup water
- Wash callaloo leaves
- Cut up calalloo leaves in pieces.
- Sauté onion, sweet pepper and escallion in margarine.
- Add cut up callaloo leaves and stir.
- Cover saucepan and cook callalloo are tender.
- Add whole scotch bonnet pepper
- Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
Dem look nice nuh true? Agreed!
Be sure to see my extensive list of free Jamaican recipes here
Pages Related To Jamaican Breakfast
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican breakfast ideas
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.