with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Jamaican White Rum
Is It Only Good For Drinking?
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican White Rum | (Photo Credit: Fine Art America)
by Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
Jamaican rum is truly one of a kind and unique. Its distinct flavour, and how it's made set it apart from the rest and that’s why it is considered as one of the best across the globe. But what you may not know is that the Jamaican rum, specifically Jamaican white rum, is not just great for its flavour and amazing addition it makes to any drink, it has a myriad of benefits that may surprise you.
So here are some of the amazing ways that you can use Jamaican rum in your everyday life.
- Brace yourself, this one might be a shocker. White rum is good for your heart, and drinking it in moderation on a regular basis will help you maintain a healthy and powerful heart!
- Rum has been demonstrated to be an effective treatment for peripheral vascular disease and the prevention of artery blockage in the body. Alcohol use has also been shown to help lower cholesterol levels in the body, according to various studies and researches.
- Besides drinking, this one might be the most common use of white rum, and Jamaicans swear by it so you know it definitely works. Rum is great for the common cold. You can just take a shot of white rum or you can combine it with lime juice and honey.
Another great way to use rum to combat the common cold is to add it to a mixture of garlic, honey and lime juice. In no time your cold will be gone and you will feel brand new.
- White rum is also used traditionally in Jamaica and other Caribbean countries to rub down or soothe the body when someone is ailing and has a high fever. It is used similarly to how we would use rubbing alcohol.
Ever been worried about catching a cold after getting caught in the rain? Well, all you need to do is grab that bottle of white rum, and use a generous amount to “sap” the top of your head or your mole, to ensure you don’t catch a cold.
The sick person would be rubbed down with the rum from head to toe and asked to inhale some as well. The next step is to simply wrap them up in a sheet and wait for them to “sweat out the fever”. It works.
- People who are always battling muscle pain can rely on white rum to entirely alleviate their aches. Regular consumption of rum aids in the increase of bone minerals in the body, which in turn, aids in the treatment of muscle discomfort.
In Jamaica, a scorpion is placed in a bottle of rum and soaked over a period of time, the mixture is then used to “sap” areas of the body that are aching.
- White Rum can be used as an antiseptic in a survival emergency. It can be used to clean wounds and inhibit the growth of bacteria. When used topically, it can also help with pain relief (as well as ingested).
Additionally, if you live in an area where there are always forty legs roaming around, capture a few and pure some white rum on them. Let it sit for at least 6 weeks before you use it. It is great for bites you may receive from forty legs.
- One of the most time-honoured methods to unwind after a long day at work is to have a cocktail. White rum, like other alcoholic beverages, is a depressant that weakens the central nervous system.
To put it another way, it's a sedative. So while many of us drink it for the flavour, there are many others who drink it because of its stress-reducing properties, but always remember that moderation is key.
- What are two things that Jamaicans are known for? Marijuana and white rum of course. Make a mixture by combining the two, that is soaking the weed in some white rum, and you have the all-time cure for every minor ailment, from headaches, tummy aches, and many more.
- This is another use of rum that is quite popular, the use of it in Jamaican cuisine. It is used in rum cakes, soups like Manish water, or for an extra kick in our curry dishes.
There are many other benefits of Jamaican white rum, but these are some that will surely come in handy at some point.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Rum Cocktails from Jamaican White Rum
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican White Rum
References & Sources For Jamaican White Rum
- Seven Ways Jamaicans Use Rum, https://jamaicans.com/seven-ways-jamaicans-use-rum/
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.