with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Places Named After Marcus Garvey
(Jamaica's First National Hero)
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! For Authentic Jamaican products, from my very own hands, visit my Etsy store here.
Places Named After Marcus Garvey | Photo Credit: WorldAtlas.com
A charismatic advocate for Black Nationalism and Pan-African-ism, Marcus Mosiah Garvey has not only etched his name in the history books because of his fundamental beliefs and work, he has, through same, inspired millions of across the globe, from esteemed leaders to the average man.
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS
Click Here to watch my latest videos on my fun YouTube channel - you'll love it!
Today, in addition to several books and publications, as well as busts in parks and offices across the world, the following are what I consider to be the most notable institutions and places named after Marcus Garvey.
See also: Places Named After Alexander Bustamante
22 Notable Institutions, Awards & Places Named After Marcus Garvey
Marcus Garvey Bust at St. James Parish Library
- The Marcus Mosiah Garvey Multimedia Museum (MMGMM) at Liberty Hall, downtown Kingston, Jamaica
- Marcus Garvey Technical High School in St Ann's Bay, Jamaica
- Marcus Garvey Drive In Kingston
- The Marcus Garvey Memorial in National Heroes Park in Kingston
- The Marcus Garvey Park (in New York)
- The Marcus Garvey Park (WIP) ( the birthplace of National Hero Marcus Mosiah Garvey, at 32 Market Street in St Ann's Bay)
- Marcus Garvey Basic School in Greenwich Farm, Kingston
- Marcus Garvey Elementary School in California, USA
- The Marcus Garvey Hall of Culture (at the OAS - the ground floor of the OAS main building in Washington, DC)
- The Marcus Garvey Scholarship offered by the Jamaican Government
- The Marcus Garvey Resource Room at the St Ann Parish Library
- The Marcus Garvey Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by Institute of Caribbean Studies
- The Marcus Garvey Foundation
- The Marcus Garvey Youth Information Center in St Ann's Bay
- The Marcus Garvey Bust in Brent Museum (in Willesden Green Library, London, England)
- The Marcus Garvey People's Political Party (MGPPP)
- The Marcus Garvey monument in National Heroes Park
- The Marcus Garvey Early Childhood Institution
- Marcus Garvey Skills Training Centre (In St. Ann)
- Marcus Garvey Day (Celebrated on August 17, 2012 in Jamaica; on his 125th birthday)
- Marcus Garvey Research Institute & also...
- The Marcus Garvey 'Guest House', housed within the W.E.B. Dubois Memorial Centre For Pan African Culture in Accra, Ghana.
Of key note is that although his name is not a part of the institution's name, he is the founder of the United Negro Improvement Association would (UNIA)
And Did You Know?
And while I have you? Did you know that...
- Marcus Garvey Alias was "Black Moses"?
- He founded the People’s Political Party in 1929?
- He founded the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) in 1914 with it's motto was ‘One God! One Aim! One Destiny!’
- Garvey’s parents (Malcus Mosiah Garvey Snr, a stone mason & Sarah Jane Richards, a domestic worker) had 11 children but only Marcus Garvey and his eldest sister Indiana survived to adulthood?
- According to BlackHistoryStudies.com, Garvey had a stroke in 1940 (January) that left him partially paralyzed.
In May of the same year, George Padmore wrote an article stating that Marcus Garvey had died. That reportedly upset Garvey and he suffered the second and fatal heart attack.
- Marcus Garvey died without having setting foot in Africa! He died on the 10th of June 1940 in London at age 53.
And yes, I have a entire article on him! You can read it at this page.
New! Watch Documentary Of Marcus Mosiah Garvey
You have received :-)
Now share you new found knowledge with your friends!
References To Places Named After Marcus Garvey
- "Marcus Garvey Syllabus For Secondary Schools To Be Launched Today", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/power/39315
- "New Yorkers Celebrate Garvey With Cultural Show, Parade", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140719/ent/ent1.html
- "Calls for a Marcus Garvey Square", https://www.caribbeanlifenews.com/stories/2017/8/2017-08-25-dp-marcus-garvey-square-cl.html, published https://www.caribbeanlifenews.com/stories/2017/8/2017-08-25-dp-marcus-garvey-square-cl.html
- "25 Facts about Marcus Mosiah Garvey", https://blackhistorystudies.com/resources/resources/25-facts-about-marcus-mosiah-garvey/"
- "Tasha T on a musical high", http://web3.jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20160520/tasha-t-musical-high
- "High Commissioners Of Jamaica And Ghana Join In Marking The First Marcus Garvey Pan-Africanism Presentation In North-West London", https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/author-and-historians/high-commissioners-jamaica-ghana-join-marking-first-marcus-garvey-pan-africanism-presentation-north-west-london/
- "Ground Broken For Marcus Garvey Memorial Park", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111014/news/news1.html
- "When will Garvey's birthplace be restored?", http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/when-will-garvey-s-birthplace-be-restored-_173843
- "Grange Outlines Plans For Jamaica’s 50th Anniversary", http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/extra/article.php?id=1285
- "OAS Hall Of Culture To Be Named In Honour Of Marcus Garvey", http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/extra/article.php?id=294
- "SAJ Shares The Joy Of Giving", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130101/shipping/shipping1.html
- "People Of Caribbean Heritage Recognised", http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/extra/article.php?id=4012, Published: Wednesday December 3, 2014
- "Thelma Campbell - Witty social worker passes", http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090807/news/news9.html
- "NAJASO’s 38th Annual Convention Ends On A High Note", http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/extra/article.php?id=4296
- "Bromley Armstrong - His early years facing discrimination in Canada", http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20080415/lead/lead5.html, published: Tuesday | April 15, 2008
- "Maas Ran Remembered", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20141028/maas-ran-remembered-0
- "50 Youth Get Another Chance At Training", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160922/50-youth-get-another-chance-training
- "SAJ Fetes Students At Adopted School", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/shipping/20170110/saj-fetes-students-adopted-school
- "Gordon Robinson | How Stiff Is Your Penalty?", http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/commentary/20170620/gordon-robinson-how-stiff-your-penalty
Other Pages Related To Places Named After Alexander Bustamante
Return to National Heroes Of Jamaica from Places Named After Marcus Garvey
Return to My Island Jamaica from Places Named After Marcus Garvey
Sharing IS Caring... Its now YOUR turn to...
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here.
Back To The Top Of This Page
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Back To The Top Of This Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.