Fun Facts And Top Attractions
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 90,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Waterfalls Jamaica | Dunn's River Falls
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
We can go on forever about the beauty of Jamaica, its rivers, beaches, mountains, and so much more. But one wonder we simply cannot get over is the many cascading waterfalls on the island.
How many waterfalls does Jamaica have?
Jamaica has well over 40 known waterfalls. I must stress the “known” part of my statement as there are, we believe, other hidden gems yet to be discovered.
What is the most famous waterfall in Jamaica?
This is hands down the Dunn’s River Falls, St. Ann. Usually, the “shine” wears off attractions for Jamaicans because we have visited them so often, but the Dunn’s River is always a marvel for us. The Ys Falls in St. Elizabeth on the South Coast is also quite popular.
What is the tallest waterfall in Jamaica?
The most popular and the tallest, Dunn’s River Falls is 180 metres tall. Climbing to the top in a hand-linked chain is popular at the falls.
Waterfalls to visit in Jamaica?
Well, I have already mentioned Ys and Dunn’s River but these are other waterfalls you can visit.
Waterfalls Jamaica | Blue Hole, Westmoreland
- Blue Hole - meet up on more than one “Blue Hole” in Jamaica, it just depends on where you are. The most famous two are Island Gully Falls in Ocho Rios and Blue Hole Negril.
- Tacky Falls - Near Port Maria in St. Mary is where you’ll find Tacky Falls. It is uncommercialised off the beaten path, with no facilities or a clearly outlined trail. If you are a seasoned Jamaican visitor or have a Jamaican companion, this trip might be a little more enjoyable. If you are looking to be away from the packed tourist hotspots, this is the complete opposite as you might not see many locals even due to the remoteness of the falls.
- Laughing Waters Falls - One of our “James Bond Attractions” (a little sidenote for ‘007 enthusiasts), the beach this falls flows into is where Honey Ryder met James for the first time. They then went up and hid under the Laughing Waters falls. Now, you won’t need to worry about anyone or anything trailing you here. You can’t just show up though, Laughing Waters can be rented for up to 250 persons. Many take advantage of this for weddings especially. However, others rent it just to have exclusive use of the falls, beach and expansive beachside which is great for cookouts and sports.
- Little Dunn’s River - The smaller waterfall is located near the original. You’ll see way more locals here as this is free to the public. It is not as tall or expansive (hence the name), but it is a great way to experience Jamaica for its natural beauty and enjoy the company of its people at the same time. Remember it is free which means no lifeguards, security guards or facilities are around.
- Reggae Falls - It is quite the journey to the falls but it is worth it. And you will meet up with a few Jamaicans having a leisurely time. The otherwise quiet community has slowly awakened to the frequency of guests in their community and now you can purchase drinks and snacks while visiting there.
Waterfalls Jamaica | Benta River And Falls
- Benta River and Falls - The Dunn’s River is easily my favourite waterfall in Jamaica, but the Benta River in Westmoreland is a close second. Just 35 minutes out of Negril is where you’ll find it tucked into a corner in a laid-back community. The cost of entry is very affordable and though the waterfall, river and natural jacuzzi are the main events, you can have a picnic, cookout, or family or friendship gathering of considerable size on the grounds.
- Konoko Falls - The Konoko Falls is part of the Konoka Falls and Park experience, but it isn’t just a part of a series of activities you are forced to do if you wish not to. You can pay your admission fee and head straight to the fall if you want to or you can take the tour of what was once a Taino settlement. The choice is yours.
If by some chance you have already been to these waterfalls, pick from this list instead:
- Roaring River - Westmoreland
- Nanny Falls - Portland
- Reach Falls - Ocho Rios, St. Ann
- Scatter Falls - Port Antonio, Portland
- Cane River Falls - Nine Miles, Bull Bay
- Somerset Falls - Hope Bay
- Nonsuch Falls - Port Antonio, Portland
- Mayfield Falls - Westmoreland
- Johnny Falls - Highgate
And there's more! See: Waterfalls in Jamaica
You might like these
See it to believe it! Jamaica's Dunns River Falls is world famous for good reason! I have some captivating pictures and an enthralling video to share with you.
Looking for adventure? Here are five (5) famous places in Jamaica you'll need to add to your bucket list of landmarks & historic places of interest.
Experience the Rousing Nine Miles Jamaica tour
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Rivers from Waterfalls Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Waterfalls Jamaica
References & Sources For Waterfalls Jamaica
- Black Tomato. 2022. A Guide to Laughing Waters, Jamaica | Black Tomato. [online] Available at: [Accessed 1 September 2022].
- J, J., 2022. Laughing Waters: An Exclusive Slice of Paradise - Simply Local. [online] Simply Local. Available at: [Accessed 1 September 2022].
- J, J., 2022. Reggae Falls: How to Find & What to Expect - Simply Local. [online] Simply Local. Available at: [Accessed 1 September 2022].
- Knight, R., 2022. A Complete List of Jamaica’s Waterfalls. [online] Adventures from Elle. Available at: [Accessed 1 September 2022].
- Things to do in Jamaica. 2022. 12 Hidden Waterfalls in Jamaica That Will Take Your Breath Away. [online] Available at: [Accessed 1 September 2022].
Waterfalls Jamaica | Written: September 02, 2022
Back To The Top Of This Page
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 100,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.