How To Apply For Permanent Resident Status In Jamaica
"How can I get permanent resident status in Jamaica?"
Outside of "will I be safe in Jamaica?" question, that is probably the single most popular question I've gotten on this website.
Well here is the answer (below). Thanks a million to Devin, my co-writer and researcher for her help on this.
OK, away with the chatter, here you go...
To apply for permanent resident status in Jamaica you would need to visit the Extension of Stay Unit
at the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA), 25c Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10.
Please ensure that you have the following documents/information prior to your visit:
- A completed application form;
- A valid passport (at least six months prior to expiration);
- Evidence of financial status (for example, pension, bank account, investments, etc);
- Birth certificate;
- Marriage certificate (where applicable);
- Particulars of spouse and other dependents;
- Medical certificate;
- Police certificate from the country you are migrating (if you have not been living here);
- Two passport-sized photographs;
- A letter stating the reason for wanting to live in Jamaica ( This letter must be addressed to the Chief Immigration Officer, Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, 25c Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10); and
- Provide two character references with your application.
Please note that all the requisite documents must be furnished before permanent resident status can be considered.
The process usually takes upwards of six months.
What are the costs?
Applications for permanent residence attract a non-refundable processing fee of JA$30,000.00.
In addition, all permanent residents who are aliens or non-Commonwealth nationals are issued with multiple entry visas, valid for two years at a time.
Costs for visas range from JA$500 - JA$2,000.
Need More Information?
For further information, including a copy of the latest application forms, do contact PICA at:
Passport, Immigration & Citizenship Agency
25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10,
Telephone: (1 876) 754-PICA(7422) / 754-4742
Hope that helps.
See Also: Migrating To Jamaica
& Moving To Jamaica