How Many Of These Did You Know? Be Honest :-)
by Kesha Stewart
Bob Marley told us to “Smile You’re in Jamaica”, and it seems we are doing just that. You will find the island ranked #11 on the Happy Planet Index. I imagine that this contributes to Jamaican’s life expectancy of 75.3 years; something to smile about (wouldn’t you say?)
But we have some startling statistics:
- How about divorce a of about 7%?
- A spiraling crime rate which places us 4th in the world
- A public debt ranking 7th in the world
- A perception of inequality 67th (out of 140 countries)
- Unemployment 15%
- Poverty 17%
- Corruption perception 83rd (out of 176 countries)
But these amazing Jamaican facts provides some hope:
- Ranked #1 in Latin America and the Caribbean for mobile phone usage
- 62% of agricultural land under cultivation or into animal production
- Education enrolment of 99% and school attendance average of 80%
- Vaccination levels in the 90’s (%)
- Ranked 51st (out of 140 countries) for ecological footprints
- Top ten most improved countries for doing business
- The best place in the Caribbean to do business
- When you visit Jamaica, you help to contribute to our GDP which presently stands at USD5,000 per capita.
- The population of 2,970,340 has an average age of 25.6 years
- There are more males (51%) than females (49%) in the general population yet we are ranked 9th in terms of gender parity at the tertiary level (female enrollment outstripping male)
The colloquial motto is, “Jamaica, no Problem” and you have not been to Jamaica until you can say, “Irie” with feeling and passion.
Irie meaning of course all is well or two thumbs up.
Here is also something for you to applaud:
The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, launched a National School Garden Projects headed by the National 4H clubs. Minister with responsibility for Agriculture and Northeast St Elizabeth MP, Hon. J. C. Hutchinson, addressed the launching ceremony at the Holland Primary School in Holland Bamboo, St. Elizabeth on March 31, 2017.
He hopes that the gardens would cultivate crops for School Breakfast Programmes, and ties in with the Ministry of Education’s plan to eliminate sugary drinks from the school system as of September 2017.
This was a definite wow moment for me since NCD (Non Communicable Diseases) collectively cause great pressure on the health care system here in Jamaica.
By the way, top three NCD’s here are:
- Heart Attack
- Cancer (prostrate cancer for males and breast cancer for females)
This all makes good learning for you though, agreed?
Excellent! No go and impress someone :-)
Posted: April 4, 2017
Return to facts about Jamaica from Jamaica statistics
Pages Related To Jamaica Statistics
Looking For Something Special?
In most cases, we have what you are looking for. Just search the entire site using this Google Search bar (below).
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Was The Information Helpful?
Great! Please help me get the message out by sharing with your friends on social media (links below)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
Need More Help?
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.