What is Ocho Rios Known For?
Fun Adventures and Cultural Sites
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
What is Ocho Rios Known For? | Horseback Riding Jamaica
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
By now, you may know that Ocho Rios is one of the major tourist hubs on the island. But while it is an area for tourists to vacation and have fun, for many locals, it is a major fishing village and source of employment.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
I however consider Ocho Rios and the entire parish of St. Ann to be the perfect mix of modern luxury and rural Jamaica.
You will find that the newer buildings are built with luxury in mind but, the older buildings have been beautifully maintained and give you a feel of Jamaica in the past. The entire area is still surrounded by lush vegetation despite new developments.
If you are unsure of Ocho Rios, here are some reasons you should visit and some facts about the town.
What is Ocho Rios Known For?
Unique Culture Tours
Watch Video! Taste of Jamaica Herb Tour
Jamaica is a wonder of spices and medicinal herbs and Mr. Broderick takes us on the ultimate herb tour in the hills of St. Ann.
Consider joining a tour to experience the sites and discover all that Ocho Rios has to offer. Unique travel alternatives are offered by numerous tour operators. Discover the tastes of Jamaica, go on a safari in the Rainforest, or discover the customs of the area. You can find some great Ocho Rios tours here.
Casual and Exquisite Shopping
Ocho Rios Craft Market
You can find anything you desire, including clothes, shoes, spices, and more in Ocho Rios. Look through Colors' selection of stones and jewellery if you're looking for something sparkling. You can choose from a variety of precious stones, gems, Swiss watches, and other fine jewellery in this location.
Even premium Cuban cigars like the Juliana and Cohiba are available there. The Herba Kadabra supermarket, the Shade Shack, and the Island Leisure souvenir shop, which sells fashionable print T-shirts, are just a few of the many shopping possibilities at the Island Village Shopping Center.
Land and Sea adventures
Nature walks are a good way to learn about historical land locations, but these are not your ordinary ramble in the woods.
For instance, the Flower Forest and River Head Adventure Trail are both well-liked attractions that feature 40 acres of flower scenery inside 130 acres of tropical forest. Enjoy the river, flora, and birds of the tropics. Getting on the water is one of the main attractions that visitors to Ocho Rios eagerly anticipate.
It's understandable why many people choose to spend their days by the lake because there are so many things to do and see.
At Dolphin Cove, you may swim with dolphins and take part in shark shows, kayaking, mini-boat rides, unlimited scuba diving, and stingray snorkelling.
The Mystic Mountain Adventure Park is one is the most popular attractions in the area as well and there you can enjoy activities such as bobsledding, ziplining, ATVing, and so much more.
Here are Some Cool Facts About Ocho Rios
- The name Ocho Rios means eight rivers in Spanish, however, Ocho Rios has 4 rivers.
- The "capital of adventure" and the location with the most attractions per square mile is Ocho Rios. Some of the island's busiest attractions are only a few steps from each other.
- The Dunn's River Falls Tour is the top tourist destination in Ocho Rios. Visitors can swim beneath the 600-foot waterfall, unwind in the crystal-clear water, and ascend the "water steps" that are situated on the falls' side. For the less adventurous they can also enjoy just relaxing on the beach and there is a splash pad and slide for younger children.
- The island's most prestigious luxury hotels are located in Ocho Rios.
- Near the hills above Ocho Rios, in the town of St. Ann, is the birthplace and final resting place of Bob Marley.
- Marcus Garvey, one of our most revered national figures, and our first National Hero was born in Ocho Rios.
- Indian, Italian, and other international cuisines are among the diverse restaurant options in Ocho Rios.
Ocho Rios is the perfect middle ground for those who don’t enjoy the hustle and bustle of Montego Bay but want to have a bit more fun than what the laid-back, super casual town of Negril offers. In Ocho Rios, you will find the perfect blend of relaxation and adventure.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Is Ocho Rios good for families? from What is Ocho Rios Known For?
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from What is Ocho Rios Known For?
References & Sources For What is Ocho Rios Known For?
- 10 cool facts about Ocho Rios (2019) Jamaica Inn, an intimate, romantic resort in Ocho Rios. Available at: https://jamaicainn.com/10-cool-facts-about-ocho-rios/ (Accessed: December 4, 2022).
- Morrow, K. (2018) 5 reasons to visit Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Sandals blog, Hello Paradise - The Official Sandals Resorts Travel & Lifestyle Blog. Hello Paradise - The Official Sandals Resorts Travel & Lifestyle Blog. Available at: https://www.sandals.com/blog/5-reasons-to-visit-ocho-rios-jamaica/ (Accessed: December 4, 2022).
- Morrow, K. (2022) 34 exciting things to do in & near Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Here Comes The Sun - The Official Beaches Resorts Travel & Lifestyle Blog. Here Comes The Sun - The Official Beaches Resorts Travel & Lifestyle Blog. Available at: https://www.beaches.com/blog/things-to-do-in-ocho-rios-jamaica/#:~:text=Locally%2C%20Ocho%20Rios%20is%20best,Park%20and%20bustling%20cruise%20port (Accessed: December 4, 2022).
What is Ocho Rios Known For? | Written: December 4, 2022
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.