Jamaican Christmas Cake
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Traditional Jamaican Christmas Cake | Jamaican Christmas Pudding
You feel it in the air - the weather changes (it gets nicer), the blossoms and even the fresher, gentler breeze, Christmas is coming baby! And that means it is time to prepare the fruits for the the most treasured cake of the year, the Jamaican Christmas cake - laced with fruits and rum!
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
I have the recipe for you, but just before I share it, how about a bit of history of Christmas pudding in Jamaica?
Great... let's go!
Jamaican Christmas Cake - The History
According to Donaldson, our local Christmas Cake is actually a reworking over the centuries of the traditional English plum pudding.
The dried fruit ingredients are put to soak for weeks and even months in advance of baking in December.
And actually, speaking of baking, the ingredients were actually steamed instead of baked!
In some Jamaican homes, fruit is kept soaking all year round always ready for use! At minimum though, the fruits for the pudding are soaked at least one month before use.
Historically, they are made the first week in December to allow them time to ‘ripen‘ or mature for the Yuletide season.
The fruits traditionally used are ground raisins, currants, dates and prunes soaked in rum and port wine. Spices and citron may also be added.
It is traditionally served cold with hot brandy sauce or rum butter. The cakes (puddings) were keep for several months, and were often sent to relatives and friends overseas.
And now... here is the recipe (below)!
Traditional Jamaican Christmas Cake Recipe
Sliced Jamaican Christmas cake - from my sister's baking :-)
This recipe make a 4 pound cake
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 6 ounces bread crumbs
- 1/2 dozen eggs
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1/2 pound granulated sugar
- 4 cups mixed fruits (raisins, currants, prunes, citron, cherries, dates)
- 6 ounces flour
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon browning
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lime (or orange) rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare tin by lining sides with 2 thicknesses of paper and the bottom with 4 thicknesses of brown paper and 1 of grease-proof paper.
- Grease with shortening
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Mix in the browning, vanilla and almond flavoring, lime juice and rind
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat in well
- Add soaked fruits, cherries, dates and nuts
- Mix breadcrumbs, flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice
- Add alternately with rum and port wine
- Pour into the prepared baking tin
- Bake at 250°F for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove and cool.
We have another version as well, titled, Jamaican Fruit Cake. Pick your choice, 'all a dem nice'!
I Should Tell You....
- This same recipe is used for the traditional Jamaican wedding cake, which is covered with a layer of marzipan (almond paste) and decorated with royal icing.
Watch Video! Jamaican Christmas Cake
Thanks to Kayann, I now officially have a video of the how to make this Jamaican delicacy. And without hesitation, here is it...
Get More Free Jamaican Recipes here
Now over to you! Please be sure to share a comment below to let me know how you did :-) HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!
Return to Food From Jamaica from Jamaican Christmas Cake
Return To My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Christmas Cake
Other Pages Related To Jamaican Christmas Cake
- Senior, Olive, Encyclopedia of Jamaican Heritage, Published 2003
- Spence, Wenton, Recipes From Old Jamaican Grandmothers, Published 2015
- Donaldson, Enid, The Taste Of Jamaica, Published 1993
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.