with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Jamaican Steamed Fish Recipe
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
A Simple Jamaican Steamed Fish Recipe by Kemoy McCurbyn
Steamed fish is very popular here in Jamaica. We looove it! And we female tend to serve this
dish to our male partners to “strong up dem back”.
Apart from that though, this dish is a very healthy one as the okras (one of the ingredients) are a good source of
vitamins, whilst the fish is a good source of protein and Omega -3 just to
name a few.
Below is a very simple recipe that will have you enjoying steamed fish in just over 30 minutes.
Jamaican Steamed Fish with Okras
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
• 3 medium sized whole fish
• 10 medium okras
• ½ cup coconut milk
• 1 small carrot
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 large onion
• 2 stalk scallion
• 2 tbsp butter
• 3 sprigs thyme
• 6 grains pimento berry
• Fish seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
• Clean and wash fish with lime juice or vinegar, drain on paper towel. Season with fish seasoning or salt and pepper.
• Wash and cut okras in half
• Cut carrot into thin slices
• Chop garlic, scallion and thyme into small pieces. Cut onion into rings
• Add coconut milk to large skillet and bring to boil.
• Add carrots and okras, let simmer for 10 minutes.
• Place fish into the boiling coconut milk, along with butter, garlic, onion, scallion, thyme and pimento.
• Allow to steam for 10 minutes
Serve (best served hot) with your favorite side.
If in doubt, try Jamaican Water Crackers as the side addition.
See more exciting recipes on our Free Jamaican Recipes page
This steamed fish recipe is also ideal for the family get
together, and for the ladies who want to give their male partners and extra 'pep in their step' - or so we say :-)
Try it and be sure to tell us about how it went OK.
No, no- not not the partner aspect, just how the preparation went - use the comments and feedback links below.
Pages Related To Jamaican Steamed Fish Recipe
Return to Jamaican Fish Recipes from Jamaican Steamed Fish Recipe
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Steamed Fish Recipe
Jamaican cuisine - Wikipedia
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.