16 Fun Facts About Jamaica
You'd Never Guess It :-)
Without hesitation I present you these, 16 amazingly fun facts about Jamaica - extracted directly from the original article I posted on ezine article.com sometime ago.
This is the test now - let's see how you already knew :-)
If you are not from, have no relative in, nor have yet visited Jamaica, I would at least assume you have heard of Jamaica, right?.
Whether it is from the internet, television, your work or in some movie? Is my assumption correct?
But even if you are familiar with Jamaica, I can probably bet you (and win) you never knew half of these interesting facts on Jamaica.
I myself was even surprised at some of these findings. Here you go!
- Jamaica was the first country in the Western world to construct a railway, even before the United States! This was only 18 years after Britain!
- Jamaica is the first Caribbean Country to gain independence.
- Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
- On his second voyage to the New World in 1494, the tip of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica was the first land sighted by Christopher Columbus.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere.
- Jamaica also was the first island in the Caribbean to produce rum on a commercial basis.
- The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica, established in 1868, is the oldest in the western hemisphere!.
- Jamaica has more multiple (two or more) live births than anywhere else in the world.
- Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bobsleigh team's efforts inspired the film 'Cool Runnings'.
- Jamaica was the first colony England acquired by conquest. This was in the year 1655 when they defeated the Spanish.
- We have the second largest butterfly in the world? (The Giant Swallowtail).
- Another of the interesting facts on Jamaica is that it was the first British colonial territory to establish a postal service (in 1688).
- Port Royal in Jamaica was once labeled 'The wickedest city on Earth'.
- The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world, that doesn't share any of the colors of the American flag.
- And if you know none of the above, (which is fine) I expect you at least know that Jamaica is the birth place of Robert ("Bob") Marley (lol)
Now my friend, get out and share you new found knowledge of Jamaica.
Pages Related To Fun Facts About Jamaica
- Profile Of Jamaica
- Population Of Jamaica
- People Of Jamaica
Return to Homepage from 16 fun facts about Jamaica
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/myislandjamaica
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/myislandjamaica
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world. You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative with your friends on the social media of your choice and ask them to do the same (BELOW).
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.
Top Of Page
Get Exclusive Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below: