Historical Events in Jamaica
by Jack Thompson
Historical Events in Jamaica
What is a historical event in Jamaican history?
Feb-13-2009 by Wellesley Gayle
Thanks for the question.
We have quite a few notable events in Jamaica's history.
Here is a quick summary by key dates leading up to Independence in 1962.
- 1494- Christopher Columbus discovered the island.
- 1509- The Spaniards occupied the country and remained in possession for 146 years.
- 1655- The English captured the island from the Spaniards and colonized the territory.
- 1692- Port Royal, which had become the focal point of the pirates plundering the Caribbean and Central America, was destroyed by earthquake and Kingston became subsequently the chief city and port.
- 1838- Slaves were emancipated and the economy foundered due to the crisis on the plantations.
- 1848- Britain’s free trade policy led to a further deterioration in the Jamaican economy because sugar protection was lifted and Jamaican sugar was in competition with cheaper sugar from elsewhere.
- 1865- The Morant Bay Rebellion broke out after prolonged disputes between the planters and the settlers.
- 1866- Crown Colony Government replaced the old system of representative government.
- 1870- An export trade in bananas replaced the predominance of sugar and restored the island’s economy.
- 1944- Universal adult suffrage was introduced under the new Constitution and proved to be the first step in the gradual move toward independence.
- 1953- A full ministerial system was established.
- 1958- Jamaica joined the federation of the West Indies, which was an association of 10 British Island territories in which Jamaica and Trinidad were the largest.
- 1959- The country was granted full internal self-government.
- 1961- Jamaica voted in a Referendum to secede from the Federation of the West Indies and to achieve Independence.
- 1962- The Federation was dissolved and Jamaica became independent on August 6th.
Here's the full story on the history of Jamaica
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world. You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative on the social media of your choice and ask others to do the same (BELOW).
What's New? Here Are The Very Latest Articles I Added
Apr 19, 15 09:53 AM
Can you get cheap flights to Negril Jamaica? We answer the question here.
Apr 15, 15 09:55 PM
Bringing English reliability and Jamaican builders together ...it works !! We can arrange if you so wish all the difficult things, your desired building
Apr 12, 15 09:35 AM
The video and lyrics of Tony Rebel Sweet Jamaica song
Get Exclusive Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below:
Now, It's Your Turn! :-)
I'd like to hear from you, please click here to share your thoughts and opinions, right now.
Didn't find exactly what you were looking for?
Top Of Page
Click Here to do a quick search of the entire site