Jamaican pumpkin soup - by Rosemarie Gordon-Cole
Of all the soups I have had, personally I think our Pumpkin Soup is arguable the best (at least in my household).
The ways of preparation varies base on your liking and can take less than an hour to prepare. My all time favorite was the traditional way of preparing it with chicken until I was introduced to the meat-less ital version!
And so as not to be selfish I am sharing this recipe with you :-)Ital pumpkin soup (if you are a vegetarian or Rastafarian this is right up your ally)
- Pumpkin ( the amount is up to you, there cannot be too much pumpkin bear in mind though that the consistency of the soup is base on the amount of pumpkin used)
- Peas ( your favorite or favorites)
- 1 cup coconut milk (it is just not the same with any other milk)
- Scallion or onion and thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- hot (whole) pepper to taste
- Vegetables of your choice
- Yams or dumpling
- Irish potatoes
The preparation is very simple
- Cook peas, separate strain and add to cooked mashed pumpkin, add yams, vegetables and dumplings and the coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes or until cooked. Then add all other ingredient and leave to simmer for a further 15 minutes. Don’t forget the scotch bonnet pepper. And it would be a good idea to ensure that the pepper doesn’t burst in the pot unless you like fire coming through your ears.
- Allow to cool and dig in :-)
Meat lovers, no need to feel jilted, this dish can be easily customized to suit your taste. You can add or remove ingredients (as long as the pumpkin stays as it is the main ingredient) as you desire.
So feel free to add beef, fish, some chicken or pigs tail to your pumpkin soup. And to make it even more authentic there must be some 'chicken foot' in that soup. Pumpkin soup is just not the same without some chicken foot - yes, it's chicken's feet (lol)!
And to put a new spin on this already delicious creation, you can make it into a smooth soup. Start by:
- Removing the meat from the soup and deboning or you could debone the meat before cooking
- Pour soup in blender and puree for a minute - blending for too long will cause the soup to be a bit frothy. Pour into your favorite bowl and enjoy.
Editor's note:Today you can find Jamaican pumpkin soup in ready made packages & sachets not only in Jamaica, but overseas as well. Geddes, Maggi and Grace are notable Jamaican brands that package this Jamaican delight. They have, for example, pumpkin beef soup & pumpkin chicken soup.
If you are overseas, check with your local Jamaican or Caribbean grocery store, chances are they'll have it!
You are welcome to visit my Jamaican Grocery Shopping storefront and check it out there.
See More: Free Jamaican Recipes
Return to Jamaican Food from Jamaican Pumpkin Soup.
Return to HomePage from Jamaican pumpkin soup.
Back to Top
Back to Top of jamaican pumpkin soup
Make sure you subscribe to my free monthly e-zine My Island Jamaica Digest (MIJD) and stay with the latest from Jamaica!
Back to Top
Didn't find exactly what you were looking for?
Do a quick search of the entire site.