Perhaps you've had jerk- I am guessing so, but have you had the true Jamaican curried chicken? It's to die for!
Curried Chicken (or chicken back) and dumplings is my favourite Jamaican dish. I had promised myself not to eat later than 7:00pm in the evenings, but if it is curried chicken, I have a real difficulty keeping that pledge.
I've been overseas and had curried chicken, but that only helped to convince me that there is none quite like the Jamaican version.
Is it just the Jamaican curry powder? I doubt it.
Yes, part of it has to be our local seasonings, but a friend of mine recently said that if you take the same seasonings and prepare the dish, say in the USA, you still don't quite get the same taste.
OK, he may be overly patriotic, but take nothing away from him, he knows that Jamaican curried chicken is darn tasty.
Here's the recipe, give it a try nuh!
- 1 chicken (about 3 lbs)
- 1.5 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic- chopped
- 2 Scallions - chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme -chopped
- 3-4 tablespoon Jamaican curry powder
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 potato -diced
- Wash the chicken in lime juice.
- Cut chicken in to small pieces.
- Rub all the ingredients into the chicken and allow to marinate for while.
- Heat the vegetable oil, well hot, and add the chicken
- Cook for about 5 minutes then add the potatoes and water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and sauce is thick.
- Serve with whatever you like. I suggest boiled dumplins :-)
Don't miss these related pages:
Make sure you subscribe to my free monthly e-zine My Island Jamaica Digest (MIJD) and stay with the latest from Jamaica!
Didn't find exactly what you were looking for?
Do a quick search of the entire site.
Back to Top
Return to Food from Jamaica from Jamaican CurriedChicken
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Curried Chicken