Jamaican Curried Chicken
Perhaps you've had jerk- I am guessing so, but have you had Jamaican curried chicken? It's to die for!
Curried Chicken (or chicken back) and dumplings is my favourite
Jamaican dish. I had promised myself not to eat later than 7:00pm in
the evenings, but if it is curried chicken, I have a real difficulty
keeping that pledge.
I've been overseas and had
curried chicken, but that only helped to convince me that there is none
quite like the Jamaican version.
Is it just the Jamaican curry powder? I doubt it.
Yes, part of it has to be our local seasonings, but a friend of mine recently said that if you take the same seasonings and prepare the dish, say in the USA, you still don't quite get the same taste.
OK, he may be overly patriotic, but take nothing away from him, he knows that Jamaican curry chicken is darn tasty.
Here's the recipe, give it a try nuh!
- 1 chicken (about 3 lbs)
- 1.5 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic- chopped
- 2 Scallions - chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme -chopped
- 3-4 tablespoon Jamaican curry powder
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 potato -diced
- Wash the chicken in lime juice.
- Cut chicken in to small pieces.
- Rub all the ingredients into the chicken and allow to marinate for while.
- Heat the vegetable oil, well hot, and add the chicken
- Cook for about 5 minutes then add the potatoes and water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and sauce is thick.
- Serve with whatever you like. I suggest boiled dumplins :-)
Don't miss these related pages:
Back to Top
Return to Food from Jamaica from Jamaican CurriedChicken
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Curried Chicken
Didn't find exactly what you were looking for?
Click Here to do a quick search of the entire site
Like What You Read?
If so, please join my special friends list and receive exclusive monthly updates, tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
PLUS get a FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica! Just enter your email & name below: