Jamaican Patty Recipe
Simple and Easy
As a result of popular demand, I now present you a simple and easy Jamaican Patty recipe.
I already provided a little background to our succulent patties - the main ingredients, the varieties, how we use them, and of course the fact that they are everybody's favourite.
This now, is your opportunity to prepare it.OK, here we go! Good Luck!
- 1\4 cup shortening
- 1\4 cup margarine
- 1\3 cup water (cold)
- 1\4 teaspoon salt
- 1\2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3\4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1\2 cup beef broth (stock)
- 1\2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 beaten egg
The Pastry Preparation
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, curry powder and salt.
- Cut in margarine and shortening until mixture looks crumbly.
- Add water and stir until the mixture forms a ball.
- Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections. Roll each section into 6-8 inch circles (approximately 1/8 inch thick).
- Cover with damp cloth until ready to use.
The Filling Preparation
- Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion until limp and translucent.
- Add the beef, salt, pepper, curry powder and thyme and mix well.
- Cook until beef is evenly brown, stirring constantly.
- Add the breadcrumbs and stock and combine all the ingredients well.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed. It should be moist but not watery
- Remove the skillet from the stove and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Uncover the dough circles and place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling on half of each..
- Moisten the edges of the dough with water and fold the dough circle over the meat filling. Use a fork to press edges. Lightly brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pastry are golden brown.
- That's it!
By the way, more free Jamaican Recipes are available here.
And please don't miss these related pages:
Back to Top of Jamaican Pattty Recipe
Return to Jamaican Food from Jamaican Patty Recipe
Return to HomePage from Jamaican Patty Recipe
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world. You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative on the social media of your choice and ask others to do the same (BELOW).
What's New? Here Are The Very Latest Articles I Added
May 17, 15 10:55 AM
Montego Bay Resorts Jamaica: Here are the top 50, the very best ones!
May 11, 15 06:58 PM
So for so many years we come to Negril, Jamaica! We started over 20 years ago at Foote Prints. Felt loved and cared for! Went on lots of wonderful trip
May 01, 15 01:13 PM
My first trip to Jamaica was a wonderful one! At first I was kind of skeptical when I heard of the crime rate. But I stayed in Mandeville which seemed
Get Exclusive Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below:
Now, It's Your Turn! :-)
I'd like to hear from you, please click here to share your thoughts and opinions, right now.
Didn't find exactly what you were looking for?
Top Of Page
Click Here to do a quick search of the entire site