Tourism in Jamaica
And The Vacation Options For U
Tourism In Jamaica
by Rose-Marie Gordon-Cole
Perhaps when you hear “Jamaica”, immediately images of enjoying the sun, sea, sand and reggae music comes to mind right?
But although Jamaica's tourism was born out of the need for a warmer climate, Jamaica offers so much more!
The tourism concept caught on like wild fire which forced the government to pass the Jamaica Hotel Law. This law gave the go
ahead for the construction of hotels to satisfy the now high demand.
The step was a significant one as it speaks to the governments’ commitment to the development of a Jamaican Tourism Industry.
Since then tourism as morphed into a mega industry where ‘your every wish’ is catered for.
Jamaica’s tourism history is a lengthy one. Here are the items of note though:
- It started in the early 19th centuries when ailing persons in England and North America started traveling to Jamaica to
escape the cold winters.
- The mode of transportation were banana boats. These boats were used to export banana but would accommodate persons wanting to visit the tropical isle on their return voyage.
- At the time Port Antonio the capital of Portland was the hot spot.
- Limited accommodation - as the demand at that time was more than Jamaica’s ability to supply.
- And of course only the basic amenities were available. This however did not deter the eager travelers.
- Limited to the rich; Can you imagine how expensive it must have been at that time?
- And it was mainly only old retirees that could afford the cost of that trip.
Major Tourist Activities in Jamaica
Irrespective of your interest, Jamaica has a brand of tourism tailored just for you. I recommend you take a look at what is
available before planning your next trip;
Environmental friendly persons who visits to enjoy the pristine and fragile ecosystem.
Some of these spots include;
- The Montego Bay Marine Park – marine ecosystem (876)952‑5619
- Black River Safari –mangrove/wildlife (876)965‑2513
- Holywell Park‑ tropical forest/ flora, fauna (876)920‑8278/9
See: Great Huts
Visiting to catch a glimpse of one of our world famous athletes or for the reason of participating or
attending a sport related event.
To name a few;
- Falmouth Blue Marlin Fishing Tournament (September)
- Jamaica Cricket Tournament (January)
- Reggae Marathon (December)
- Pineapple Cup Yatch Race February
- Jamaica Intl. Invitational Athletic Meet (May)
Read more on Jamaica's Sports here
Africans, Indians, Europeans, there is so much to tell about our history. Our motto says it
all “Out of many, one people”.
The festivals and cultural events are endless. For a complete list, just hop over to the Jamaica National Heritage Trust site (email@example.com). In the meantime here are a few heritage sites and their location;
Making a stop at one of Jamaica’s cruise ship piers, while on a cruise makes you a cruise tourist. The three ports of call in Jamaica for you are;
And there is a whole lot more!
See also: cruise in Jamaica
So whatever your love is, whether its hiking, biking, watersports, nature, cultural or business, Jamaica is the place to be.
Be sure to read more on major tours in Jamaica (from Negril) and best places to visit in Jamaica.
Return to Jamaica Travel Guide from Tourism in jamaica
Return to HomePage from Tourism in Jamaica.
Pages Related To Tourism In Jamaica
Back to Top tourism in jamaica
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Was The Information Helpful?
Great! Please help me get the message out by sharing with your friends on social media (links below)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
Need More Help?
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.